Dual Tilt/Trim Switch Dilemma

dorchard

Cadet
Hi All,<br /><br />I am rewiring my 1982 Astroglass bass boat, and I have come across a dilemma regarding having 2 separate tilt/trim switches (one bow, one helm). I get the idea that I could simply wire them in parallel, but my confusion comes in when one person pushes "Tilt Up", while another person pushes "Tilt Down". If my thinking is correct, this would create a short circuit. I guess I could just fuse the control circuit, but I wanted to know if there is anything anyone can think of that would prevent this situation from occuring. I am probably overthinking this one, but I am an engineering student, so it's in my nature!<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />--Dan

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Dual Tilt/Trim Switch Dilemma

You need to tell us what motor you have including the year and model and whether you have a 2 or 3 wire T&T motor, but here goes anyway. If you have a 2 wire motor then no problem. When both switches are activated as described then the single motor coil will have 12vdc applied to both sides of it, so the motor will simply not run. In the case of a 3 wire motor, the motor has 2 coils, one for up and one for down. In the above scenario, both coils will have 12vdc applied to them at the same time and thus attempt to drive the motor in both the up and down directions simultainiously. The motor does not run. Not a problem if done briefly, but if both switches remain activated too long either the 12vdc supply fuse or one of the internal fuses for the coils will blow.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

You could wire in a 3 way switch on the power feed so that only one of those 2 switches would be active at one time depending on the position of the switch or you could wire in a couple of relays that energize when you hit one switch it effectively kills power to the other switch and visa versa.

cbcrawford

Seaman

Do you really expect to have more than one person trimming the motor at any given time?<br /><br />It would take a VERY deliberate effort to hit any two of the three switches on my boat at the same time! I'd agree that you are overthinking this!<br /><br />I'd tack on a great engineer's joke here, but I seem to have forgotten all of them!<br /><br />Best of Luck!<br />CC

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

The circuit should be fused as a fail safe but I agree with your earlier statement in that you are probably overthinking it. In over 20 years of fishing in boats with tnt switches in frt and back of boat that scenario has never occurred<br />:=)