Dual Pro hitch

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anybody ever had problems with them? My stratos came with a 2 bank,10 amp charger. Well one side quit some time ago and now the side that did work doesn't.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dual Pro hitch

Just like radios, TVs, computers, and microwaves, anything with electronics in them can die at any time. Some die sooner and some die later. How old is this unit?

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought boat in 2001. Stratos got it back for repairs off and on over the next seven years. I had boat at my place maybe 2 Yrs? It was built before they went belly up. This uint has been in boat all this time. I did notice one corner of mounting plate bent. I've never taken it out. Wonder if it was taken out there and dropped?
I was curious if any one else had these same problems with chargers?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Those units are "potted" meaning the box the electronics in is filled with a plastic material so there is no way any repairs could have been made to it unless the issues dealt with external wiring. If anything other than that was wrong, the unit would have been replaced. These are not inherently troublesome components so they don't often fail but as I said, it is electronic and it can. If you've had multiple failures, I think you have some wiring issues and that the charger is not actually failing. My suggestion is to disconnect it from the batteries. Using a voltmeter, plug the unit in and measure the voltage across each pair of outputs. If you have 13 volts or more they work. If not, inspect the wiring from the terminal all the way back to the charger. Inspect carefully for broken wires. If a wire is broken, splice it and then recheck. Check the power cord as the plug and its wiring can also prevent the unit from working. I trust you have checked the fuses and fuse holders for corrosion in each of the outputs!!!!!!!

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I Don't have any current on one side it's Fried. The other side is just barley working. So It's replacement time.
Thanks For Your help.
David C

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Replaced charger with a better one today.No more problem.

Thanks For Replys