DT175 help

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I wanted to see if someone can help me here.<br /><br />I have a 1988 DT175. I bought it on a bass boat and it had a lot of problems at first but most seem to be straightened out. I replaced the throttle sensor and had some choke issues. But anyway it really hauls now (64-68mph). But here is the problem. It hates to start. Once it is warmed up....it fires right up. But when it is cold it just does not want to run at all. It will sputter and then stall. Then start it again and same thing. It chokes out when you try to give it gas. I understand that 2 strokes dont run well when they are cold but this is worse than a usual stubborn outboard. You really have to get it started a few times and then run the hell out of it....then if you stop for a few hours and go to start it agiain it starts all over again. Any ideas? Please email me at spego69@excite.com if someone can help me or have some ideas.

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: DT175 help

Hey, try to pre spray carbs with gas. I use high test with 25% octain boost as a pre spray. It sound like you need a good carb cleaning.

huanca

Cadet

I agree with THOM. Do a thorough carb cleaning and you should be running good. 2 strokes usually start at the first try and idle real well if tuned, clean fuel and a clean carb. Good luck.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually bought DT200 carbs that were rebuilt and installed them. Problem fixed and more HP!! Thanks guys.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Normally when a carbed Suzuki engine is hard starting when cold its because the fuel enrichment valve is defective. This 'valve' is really just a small float chamber, up next to the flywheel, that has an electrically acculated valve in it. The Suzuki carbs do not have chokes so what happens is when you push in the key it sends power down an orange wire that goes to the fuel enrichment valve. The actual needle valve init opens and the little bit of fuel in the chamber (about an oz.) is dumped down into the small runner intakes between the carbs and the reed valves. This take the place of the non-existant chokes.<br /><br />If you remove the cowling and have someone turn on the ignition and then press in the key you should be able to hear the valve click lightly if it is working properly. You can find the valve by looking for the decal that says something like 'loosen this screw to manually start' or something like that. The screw you loosen manually dumps the fuel out of the valve and down into the intakes. The replacement part runs a bit over $100. Using a squirt can of raw gas, or using starting fluid, will work but beware of washing the oil off the cylinder walls with that stuff.<br /><br />Thom (the other Thom)

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I had that issue when I bought the boat. The solenoid was not clicking and I replaced the whole unit thinking that was the sole problem. Your right it was over 100 (actually 174 at browns point). It did fix some of the problem but still left it a bear to start. I do agree...no starting fluid...bad news there. If someone out there runs across a problem like this I would recommend carb rebuilds.