DRY SPARK PLUGS ON 86 Xr2 150

fd203

Cadet
Just pulled plugs to check them out and they are dry but look tan and clean( not alot of carbon), But I find very little oil on them they look almost dry, I pre mix fuel 50-1 and seems to run OK but worry it might be running to lean, so how oily should they look? and can you adjust not to run so lean. Any help would be great for this 86 Merc 150 Xr2. Thanks

j_martin

Admiral
Re: DRY SPARK PLUGS ON 86 Xr2 150

Just pulled plugs to check them out and they are dry but look tan and clean( not alot of carbon), But I find very little oil on them they look almost dry, I pre mix fuel 50-1 and seems to run OK but worry it might be running to lean, so how oily should they look? and can you adjust not to run so lean. Any help would be great for this 86 Merc 150 Xr2. Thanks

They should stay pretty dry if you're running hard. They might get a little oily if you idle for awhile.

Should burn to a shopping bag brown. If it's much lighter than that, it could be running lean.

If you have one of those thumb sized fuel "filters" on the engine, chit can it and put in a real filter. (Racor 60 GPH fuel-water seperator.)

hope it helps
John