Dropping the mast

stusugg

Cadet
It's a long story but...the short version is...<br /><br />I have an antique sailboat designed in Holland, which means the mast is capable of going down to get under bridges over the canals. It's a 1967 and the mast has only been down once that I know of since 1971. Anyway, I had been hoisted up the mast 3 times to scrape old varnish and clean it before I went to the second owners house in DC and got the spinnaker poles for the vessel. While I was there he said he had a contraption for getting the mast down, but he didn't have the wench for it. Needlesstosay, I took it and promptly used it. Unfortunately, I used an old block set up that couldn't withstand the weight. It was straight out of a movie. The lines started snapping and I let it down as far as I could before the brass snap clip holding the block snapped. Luckily, a friend was at the stern guiding the mast into it's craddle. Due to our impetuousness, we messed up the lights, the boom and the track for the mainsail. However, now we are experts.

brother chris

Commander
Re: Dropping the mast

At least it never hit you guys in the head! <br />How about a pic of it. I would love to see an oldie like that.

stusugg

Cadet

At the time it was an adventure. In rhetrospect, it was comical and should have been more thought out. We were just so excited to have this new contraption that was suppose to let one person lower the mast to go under bridges in Holland... I do have pictures of the boat with the mast down that I can forward from an e-mail I sent to myself from the office, but for some reason the format isn't one that will allow me to post it. Anyone interested can post their e-mail address and I'll send it.

Twidget

Commander

Its a shame you didn't tape it. You could have made a fortune on a silly video show. :) Im glad no one was hurt and no serious damage.