Driveshaft Oring

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice
92 Evinrude 60 hp TE60TLENE<br /><br />In my waterpump kit I got a "driveshaft Oring". I also see it in my parts manual. My question is: Where in the "H" does this thing go? Top of the shaft? Bottom of the shaft? Do all models use this? I didn't find one on dissasembly. Parts manual shows it above the housing grommet.<br /><br />I have put the thing back together but if I need to I'll take her back apart.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Driveshaft Oring

Right at the top of the driveshaft just below the splines. Dont forget to grease the splines before it goes back together.

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice

I greased the splines but the oring is still on my bench. There was no old oring. Is this critical?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Someone may have left it off before.<br /><br />Is there an O ring groove right below the splines?

rdav13

Seaman Apprentice

No groove below splines. In fact I had the oring on the shaft and decided not to leave it there.

Walker

Captain

Some impellors take an O-ring right below them. The impellor will have a recess cut into it on the bottom side.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

In '92 your motor may have the sealing o-ring fastened to the inside bore of the crankshaft. Earlier models had to glue the oring to the driveshaft. Be sure to lube the splines well using the white Moly-lube in the foil pouch that is included with the water pump kit.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The purpose of the o ring is to keep water, especially salt water, from getting in the mating surfaces of the driveshaft & crankshaft. This is also why the splines need to be lubed. Every now & again there will be a poster here who can't drop the lower unit due rust & crud on these surfaces.