Drivers Eye Vegetable Oil As Cheap Fuel

LadyFish

Admiral
Drivers Eye Vegetable Oil As Cheap Fuel<br /><br />Mon May 24, 7:26 AM ET<br />By LAURA WALSH, Associated Press Writer<br /><br />WESTON, Conn. - As the nation grapples with pumped-up gas prices, car owners are turning to their favorite restaurants for a solution: recycled vegetable oil.<br /><br />Environmentalists have been using the fuel alternative for years as a way to cut back on sooty emissions, but as gas prices soar above $2 a gallon, they say their "veggie cars" are also a great way to save some cash.<br />More...... <br /><br />So Lubedude.....whatcha think?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Drivers Eye Vegetable Oil As Cheap Fuel

Makes good sense for Diesels, but I don't know how they would burn it in gas engines.<br /><br />The story is gone from the link.

ob

Admiral

Without costly modifications and loss of performance ,it 'won't work on gasoline engines.Least I ain't trying it out on mine.You mean Mercedes doesn't come with optional fuel source features? :D That's a attempt at humor JB.

LadyFish

Admiral

I fixed the link JB.<br /><br />I just wonder if inhaling the fumes will make you fat. ;)

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

I just paid $50.00 for 6 gallons of peanut oil this morning. I think I'll stick with gasoline.

JB

Actually the Diesels that MB puts in their trucks are easily modified to burn recycled veggie oil, SBN. They call it bio-Diesel.<br /><br />Right, Mr. LF. It is economical only with recycled and filtered cooking oil.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

We used that for a while in the buses at the county transit garage where I worked for a while. Even using the recycled oils, it was more expensive than diesel, and it ended up making a portion of downtown smell vaguely like McDonald's or something. We did it as the Olympics came to town, and as soon as they stopped paying for the biodiesel, we had to stop using it. The buses didn't even know the difference.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

These are not bio-diesel, these engines run straight vegtable oil that has been filtered by various methods to remove the crud. Conversions start around 5-600 dollers and are nothing new they have been around awhile. If you are willing to invest a little labor the fuel is generally free. I have been intrigued by these and would definatly consider one if my truck were diesel. I am not ready to by a new truck to facilitete the conversion though.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Actually the Diesels that MB puts in their trucks are easily modified to burn recycled veggie oil, SBN.
HUH? Did I say something? :confused:

delta breeze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I saw this today on the news.The fuel will power a modified diesel engine for not much money about 700$they say.It will run just as fast as a diesel.You can pick up used oils and filter it from resteraunts for free.They have to pay someone to dispose of it.Not sure if its the way of the future but its kinda cool.I have old race friends that have run their race cars from corn whiskey for years,And thats not drinking it and racing.lol.For what its worth we need alternate fuels. Delta Breeze

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

hi, a month ago i brought this up, I got a 2000 vw beetle,tdi, anyone got imput on this, and how much effort does it take to filter used cooking oil, sound like it would rate next to cleanning septics.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I have been doing some research on this. Biodiesel is a mixture of the veggie oil, diesel, and other chemicals that can be obtained easily. The chemicals help keep the veggie oil emulisified in the diesel. That is why they call that mixture Bio Diesel.<br /><br />SVO which is straigt vegtable oil. The diesel engine first is started on the diesel fuel. After the coolant in the engine warms the veggie oil through a heat exchanger, then a 3 way valve is opened allowing the SVO to run right into the injector pump. The diesel fuel is shut 100% off while the engine is running on the SVO. Upon shut down, you must first remember to switch back to diesel fuel prior to shut down. Otherwise once the SVO gets cold, it turns into a thick goo which will clog everything in its path.<br /><br />The drawback to SVO is it can be corrosive to some injector pumps. It can be very acidic. The exhaust does smell like whatever was cooked in the oil. <br /><br />I'm going to be adapting my truck to it hopefully in the next couple of months. If the injector pump holds out for several thousand miles. The savings from not buying diesel will pay for the pump. <br /><br />The company that picks up our oil from the fryers has their truck running off the SVO. I talked to the driver and he said he only has to put diesel in about every 3 months, where he was having to fill up once a day with diesel.<br /><br />This procedure is big in Europe. With their prices of fuel, no wonder.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Oh, I forgot to mention, the emissions are a whole lot cleaner than diesel fuel. So it is good to smell and good for our air.

JB

Ooops!, Sorry SBN. <br /><br />It was OB that I was replying to.<br /><br />It was such a humorous comment I though of you. :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Ooops!, Sorry SBN. <br /><br />It was OB that I was replying to.<br /><br />It was such a humorous comment I though of you. :)
Oh ok JB, I thought I was loosing it again. :D <br />EDIT: BTW, I think I will just stick with my diesels in all my stuff for now.