Driver License

Trent

Captain
My oldest just got his permit today. He has been driving four wheelers and a mule, and has had his boat license for two years. He does pretty good on the boats. But today I went with him in his moms car.........I WAS SCARED! Yall got any tips to help me keep me sain? I know some of you have been thu this. How did you make it?

Trent

Captain
Re: Driver License

Thanks for the drug tip... But I need real help! :)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

You've been around for a while so you know I can't offer advice on kids driving.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Of my four children the two who got driver training at school are the ones I prefer to ride with.<br /><br />The feature of the driver training that I think made the most difference is that the student drivers had to ride with a traffic cop for a shift. Then they wrote a report on the violations and accidents that were investigated or observed.<br /><br />See if you can get your son an observer ride with a traffic cop. It probably wont affect his physical skills, but it will surely affect his mental approach.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rwise

Captain

never let them know you are scared! My Son is a great driver, my daughter,,, well her first car she crashed 3 times. She is getting better, with practice. Both had drivers ed, up the insurance, grin and bear it, it will pass.<br />Richard

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I just went through it with #1, and #2 will start this summer.<br /><br />As far as any advice, the best thing I can tell you is to instill and harp on defensive driving, because no matter what, you can NEVER count on other drivers doing what you expect them to, or what they're supposed to. Always leave yourself an "out". Kids just have no clue about anticipating what "might" happen, I think it's a brain development thing (seriously! :) ) .<br /><br />Hang in there, the driving will improve, although sometimes at first you may have to force yourself to go driving with him. <br /><br />Good luck!

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I get nervous when my wife drives. I get really nervous when I let the kids drive. I just have to say that I am glad there isn't a brake on my side, but one of these days my foot is going through the floor.<br /><br />Yet, I have to say they all drive better than my ex wife. I was teaching my ex how to drive at the age of 30. She would do stupid things like pulling out in front of traffic, or forgetting which was the brake when approaching a parked car in a parking lot.

Trent

Captain

Thanks for all the tips. I know I will do a few of them.

bubbakat

Captain

JB has a real sound suggestion. I have rode a few around and it really opens their eyes a little.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hey Trent, be sure to tell him that even though he may have the right of way doesn't mean the other driver is going to give it to him.<br /><br />I've seen so many times that the teen says "Well I had the right of way", they need to learn the real rules of the road to stay out of accidents.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Try to set a good example, like not talking on the phone, fiddling with the radio, changing CD's, putting on makeup, smoking or eating while driving. and buckling up. <br /><br />Might or might not make an impression, but at least they'll see that you mean what you say.

sbump26

Seaman Apprentice

the great state of Texas has a program where parents can teach there kid a state approved curriculum. i bought the program and taught my daughter to drive (a stick shift even). still qualified for the insurance discount. passed the written 100% and didn't even have to take a driving test. she has had no wrecks and only one ticket. she is now a senior in college and drives very defensively. she thought it was going to be a walk in the park since dad was doing it. she found out otherwise. we wore out the parking lot before we ever got on the street. when we hit the street she could handle the stick very well. i coached the softball team she played on and we (she) drove to practice and games. they have a log you fill out and you can fudge and not do the program by the book. we followed the book to the letter and filled out the program all the way through. i am glad we did it and i think she is a better driver for it. My son took drivers ed at school and the first time i rode with him and merged on the freeway i about died (literally) almost got rearended because they don't teach the acceleration lane theory, they teach the merge when someone lets you on theory. a short lesson on using the acceleration lane and slowing or speeding up depending on the traffice and he ws good to go. he has had one minor accident and more tickets, but not more than 4.