drive thump thump or chug chug sound

highpowerdad

Seaman
I am thinking what you are hearing is normal. Very common for Volvos to get some clatter in the top of the unit when at idle. Mine has had that ever since I owned it since 2002. Goes away when in gear out of the water when there is just the slightest amount of load.
I don't know, that is a pretty steady "racket" and very consistent at the engine RPM just to be some clatter, but one thing is for sure, either it will stay the same and not mater, or if it is a worn joint or bearing, it is going to get worse...

anyone else have an SX drive that makes noise in neutral and then quiets up in drive?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I don't know, that is a pretty steady "racket" and very consistent at the engine RPM just to be some clatter, but one thing is for sure, either it will stay the same and not mater, or if it is a worn joint or bearing, it is going to get worse...

anyone else have an SX drive that makes noise in neutral and then quiets up in drive?
I am actually selling my boat in the next couple days. I will record the sound if I have a chance before its gone.

highpowerdad

Seaman
Aright all, got a chance to run it around the lake today after having added a little gear lube, bringing the level up to the top of the flat part of the dip-stick...the noise is still there, and it is ONLY in neutral, as soon as I put it in gear, the noise is gone...and it is now more of a rattling noise than the mechanical thumping, so I am pretty sure it is something in the drive. Underway, everything is smooth and sounds like it should, even in very tight turns, different trim angles etc, in fact, it is very smooth... So since some have said that VP may have a "rattle" in them when in neutral, I am just going to go boating for now...I can only assume that it is the gear lash or the cones jostling around... it lets you know when you are in gear and not in gear...if it gets louder or starts making noise in gear, I will readdress.

DQDanny

Recruit
I have a 2003 VP 5.7GXI with an SX-M VP duo-prop. Exact same sounds at exact same time. Noise in neutral, when dropped into gear is smooth & quiet. It's been this way for 5 years. When the gear oil is cool, no sound is emitted. I have thought that this sound began after I tapped the bottom of the lake & put an ever so slight ding in my prop. This made just an ever so slight slop in the two counter rotating props. Mine is like all the others now!! Before there was none. So I have thought it must be related to gear lash. It's never gotten worse. I describe my sound as a "cladder", & not a "clatter". (a little softer sound). U-joints are original & tight as far as I can tell. (no grease zerks).