drive shifting issues

rv8tor

Cadet
I have a '99 19' Stingray with a Merc. 4.3l A1 drive. I have noticed that it is hard to shift into fwd gear most of the time and sometimes into reverse as well.

After a lot of forward movement of the lever( perhaps as much as 1/4 of total travel), it will probably chatter alot because of not being fully engaged. And sometimes right on onto fwd gear.

Any ideas on what's going on here? It shouldn't be this hard, should it? It makes docking a bit trickier for sure!

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: drive shifting issues

Could be sticky lower shift cable or sticky remote shift cable.

Also shifting has to be done quickly...no hesitation

...and the idle speed should be around 650 RPM's or lower. High shifting RPM's will damage gears and eventually cause them to fail.

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have a combined shift and throttle cable? I have one of those, and the first 1/4 of total forward travel is the shifting throw, then comes the throttle throw. As Charlie said, the idle rpm's need to be right and you need to shift swiftly, and then you won't get the grinding sound or loud clunk.

rv8tor

Cadet

I have the Quicksilver Commander 3000 shifter. The RPMs are fine...nice and low at idle. I do also realize that the shifting must be purposeful to avoid the chattering. I suppose I'm wondering just how much of this is normal, and how much is not! I do see an awful lot of posts on shifter issues on this Mercruiser I/O A1 board!

If it is one of the shifter cables, what's a good resource for a maintenance manual?

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Remove BOTH shift cable ends and manually move/shift lower cable. It should be smooth. Then shift remote shift handle. It should also be smooth.

Which one is not?

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Manual... did you look in the Adults Only section of this forum? Item # 9 has links to the manuals.