Drive shaft removal after pinion gear nut is off.

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pre Alpha lower unit S/N 6346866. After the pinion gear nut is removed how does the drive shaft come out? In the shop manuals that Don S. provided a link to it says the drive shaft comes out without mentioning any special tools. Does the pinion gear just slide on the drive shaft?

Jason

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Drive shaft removal after pinion gear nut is off.

Back the pinion nut off till it's about half way off. Then push the prop shaft up against it, and thump the propshaft with a mallet. (Not a steel hammer)
The shaft is stuck in the gear on a tapered shaft, and the shock will release it. You DO NOT have to hit it hard enough to bend the shaft.

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Back the pinion nut off till it's about half way off. Then push the prop shaft up against it, and thump the propshaft with a mallet. (Not a steel hammer)
The shaft is stuck in the gear on a tapered shaft, and the shock will release it. You DO NOT have to hit it hard enough to bend the shaft.

Thank you Don. That little trick worked like a charm. I can see that it is going to be a blast putting it back together though!!

Jason

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Don. That little trick worked like a charm. I can see that it is going to be a blast putting it back together though!!

Jason

Not if you follow the manual and do exactly as it says. Along with the proper tools.

Uh, that's the OEM, manual, not the aftermarket junk.

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not if you follow the manual and do exactly as it says. Along with the proper tools.

Uh, that's the OEM, manual, not the aftermarket junk.

Well I have the 1 gig .pdf you so kindly linked to. The proper tools maybe stretching it though!

Jason