Drive shaft Oil seal

PT

Seaman
1987 omc cobra drive. The oil seal that is behind the gimbal bearing. Drive Shaft slides through gimbal bearing then Oil seal this is the one Im speaking about.Manuel say install with the inset out . what is the "Inset" Looking at the oil seal there is a face to it & on the back side you can see the round spring. Which side face out toward the outdrive. Also what oil does this seal keep out? when i install the drive back on does oil get into the boot side or from the spline side. Oil Seal = keeping oil out? help me out guys, thxs

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Drive shaft Oil seal

I preaty sure the spring goes towards the engine this seal is not for oil it is to keep bilge water form getting to the gimbal bearing. if you have lube in the bellows this will not fix it.

PT@work

Cadet

thxs A.D., I replaced gimbal bellows & oil seal,was just curious what the seal kept out , thxs. already put seal in the way it came out , thought maybe it was in wrong to begin with but wasnt sure. I have a nuther question, I also have a new lower shift cable, when i slide this through the lever it connects too, how much cable should be sticking out where the Lock nut fastens to the lever( I guess it called a Lock Nut), I would think this would have a effect on the forward & reverse shifter but maybe its all adjustable from the engine Lever. How do i set this or does it matter, dont wanna have to remove the out drive just for this..thxs

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh boy you are in it now there is 2 tools you need to set the core length. do a search here and see if some one has put up the short cut with a measure tape trick i just have the tools. make sure you put the corigated plastic sleve back on the cable is is done the easyist when cable is installed. feed it on cable jacket from inside while someone lifts the pivot housing up and down. this is what kills cobra cables it is only 3.00 at the dealer and if you dont use it it will reck a 100.00 cable in less than a season of good use.

PT@work

Cadet

LOL i saw the corrugated plastic around the old cable but saw no use for it so i didnt put it back on. Kinda too late now, Just hope i can get the shifter cable adjusted, try it when i get off work today