Drive oil wont flow from reservoir - Help me out!!

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All

I am having some trouble with my lower unit oil reservoir.

I have some theories, but I will set the stage first....

2006 Maxum 1800 SR3
2006 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen 2

-I followed the service manual for draining and refilling the lower unit
-Drained and cleaned the reservoir, I used a bit of gas and had it coming out of the bottom of the reservoir where the line connects.
-I blew out the line (by mouth) from the reservoir to the quick connect mid-way to the transom.
-Cleaned out any excess gas and refilled reservoir.

Result.....no oil to lower unit vent, or even to the disconnect mid way!

The reservoir is in a really tight area and the line that comes out the bottom of the reservoir rises up a bit and then runs along the valve cover before dropping down to the transom at the back.

I am suspecting that I need to run the drive, hopefully on the muffs, to create some suction in the line and draw the oil down to fill the line.

I am no mechanic, and am not sure if I have the right idea.

If I am way off base, please correct me!!

Sorry about the long post, but this was my first winter with the boat, and I want to make sure it is all ship shape before going out on the water.

This is also my first I/O.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Drive oil wont flow from reservoir - Help me out!!

Anyone have any thoughts?

vfrkent

Seaman

When you refill the lower unit, you need to back fill with a pump through the drain plug hole, other wise you end up with air pressure in the lower unit not letting the oil drain down from the resivor.

Regards,
Kent

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Like vfrkent said you must fill the O/D via the drain plug hole of the lower unit or you will have major issues in no time. Filling the o/d through the drain plug hole pushes the fluid up through all the lubricating cavities pushing out any trapped air pockets created by being drained once the fluid starts pouring out the vent plug which should be removed during this process cap both plugs and fill via the lube monitor or keep pumping through the drain plug hole with vent plug in place and lube monitor cap off until level is reached. Word to the wise service manuals are priceless if you plan on doing your own maintenance.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THanks for the reply vfrkent & fanny!

As I mentioned in my post, I followed the service manual to the 'T', which means I filled from the bottom up. My merc manual says fill from below until the oil comes out the vent, which I did. It then says to fill the reservoir and then remove the vent from the lower unit until the oil starts to flow out again, meaning that the oil line from the reservoir is filled with oil.

The manual doesn't say to force the oil in from the lower unit to the reservoir with the pump. Is this another proper way to fill the unit? I won't end up with an overfilled gear case by forcing the oil back to the reservoir.

Thanks for the help.

250Gimp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Dingdongs, you must have been typing while I was.

I will check out the vid.

Cheers