Drive oil container empty / sludge inside.

soulhawaii

Seaman Apprentice
4.3 Merc 2005
Alpha one g2 drive

I had the boat in the shop to replace the u-joint (making knocking noise when turning hard left or right). So I put the boat in the water and drive it, come back a week later and find the drive oil container empty and brown sludge inside. What could be the cause of this? And do I risk refilling it to drive the boat to the ramp to pull it out? It's very hard to get to the ramp unless under power.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If there's no oil on the floor, it's leaked into the bellows. Pull the drive and check. If the bellows is full of gear oil, take it back to the shop and ask them to fix the now leaking front seal. (They clearly didn't pressure test the drive as part of they 'post repair' checks)...

Yes, refill the reservoir, but monitor it. How far away is this ramp?

Chris........

tpenfield

Staff member
Was the oil reservoir full (or at a reasonable level) when you got the boat back from the shop?

Since you should remove the outdrive to check the oil in the drive and if oil is in the bellows as @achris mentioned, you will either need to drive the boat to the ramp or tow it.

There is usually brown sludge that remains in the reservoir, if it has not been cleaned in a while, but you can clean that up.

soulhawaii

Seaman Apprentice
There was oil in the reservoir, but after taking the boat out the first time, when I came back the reservoir tank fell off the bracket and was on the ground, so I put it back on, still had oil in it though

The ramp is about a 2 min drive through a no wake zone.

Thank you for the replies

Scott06

Vice Admiral
There was oil in the reservoir, but after taking the boat out the first time, when I came back the reservoir tank fell off the bracket and was on the ground, so I put it back on, still had oil in it though

The ramp is about a 2 min drive through a no wake zone.

Thank you for the replies
On my gen two typically after refilling the drive I will see a pretty good drop in oil level first time out. I think its just air working its way out of the drive. I top it up and don't loose any more the rest of the season.

soulhawaii

Seaman Apprentice
On my gen two typically after refilling the drive I will see a pretty good drop in oil level first time out. I think its just air working its way out of the drive. I top it up and don't loose any more the rest of the season.
Thanks, I guess I just panicked because loss of oil is something I lose sleep over! I might top it off and clean the sludge and see what happens

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks, I guess I just panicked because loss of oil is something I lose sleep over! I might top it off and clean the sludge and see what happens
Yes if it was empty the alarm should have sounded. But sludge may hang up the float switch. As long as drive has lube at top you should be ok