Drive drunk lose car!

Realgun

Commander
The new law we have is get coaught you lose your car FIRST TIME OFFENCE. Boy are the drunks upset :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Drive drunk lose car!

lose your CAR? dang. what if it's somebody else's car?

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

jtexas and Realgun,<br />We have the same law up here. I don't think it is for the first offense though.<br />If it is someone else's car, it don't matter. The drunk will be buying a car to replace it, I guess.<br /><br />AK Chappy

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

From my experiences in New Mexico Realgun, there shouldn't be more than 10 autos on the road by next March...Chief ;)

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

We sort of have that here. If you get arrested for a narcotics charge, or game law violations, due to all the hassels and storage fees until your case clears-- you more or less lose your car. <br /><br />So,,,,,<br />All the crooks & drug runners just lease them, or get low payment/long term notes nowdays.<br /><br /><br />YOU can't get your car after an arrest, but the finance company can pick it up in a day or two. You can make your best deal to get it back from them, or just go lease/finance another one. <br /><br /><br />Back in the 70's a buddy got popped for no driver's license on his motorcycle in Virginia.<br />He was going to have to wait till the case came to trial, etc. and the storage fees mounted up before he could get it back from the pound.<br /><br />It was financed through the base credit union, so we got a letter from them saying it was being re-poed. I took it down to the county attorney , paid the wrecker fee, 1 day storage, and left with it. It might have been a month before he could get it out of the pound. With the fees for a month, either you'd have to more or less buy it twice, or abandon it.<br /><br />If think you're going to get popped--- don't own the car you're driving. That's one way around that sort of law.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

So the solution is.... if you're gonna run drugs, etc. then do it in a beater car that you don't mind losing.... problem solved. :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

NYC has had that law for a few years now. The serious drinkers rent cars for their binges in the city.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Not bad. Drunks should be seated in a Jail, not on the road

D

DJ

I have no problem with it with one exception. That is if it someone elses car. That would be nothing but gov't confiscation.<br /><br />Ideas like that run amuck is one of the reasons you can no longer lease a vehicle in New York State.<br /><br />The NY courts have determined that the drivers are not guilty, the vehicle owners are. Thus auto makers and leasing companies said, no thanks NY. See ya.<br /><br />How ridiculous.

Moody Blue

Captain

Loose the car yes but it doesn't stop them from driving some other car. Should be some kind of electronic braclet the person would wear that disables cars ignitions systems. Car manufacturers should be legislated to incorporate some such device. Should be zero tolerance for drinking and driving.<br /><br />Laws here are pathetic. There are always stories in the news about someone who has been charged numerous times prior and continues to be able to drive until someday they will kill somebody. Hopefully it won't be anyone else other than themselves.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

One thing that I have often wondered about. What kind of impact would there be if insurance companies had a clause that said your insurance would be canceled due to failure to wear a seat belt or driving under the influence? I think it would have a stonger effect than any law. Any serious accident would really ruin ones life.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Habitual drunk drivers should be shot. The kind of arrogance that habitually risks the lives of others because they don't want to pay for a taxi beggars belief.<br /><br />There's only one answer to "how much is too much"-ANY is too much.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

The idiot drunks should be made to work in the rehab hospitals like my sister-in-law was in for 6 months after a 3 month stay in ICU after be hit by a drunk and his friend doing 90MPH. The idiots both were killed 19 and 20 years old. The 20yo driver BAL was 3 1/2 the legal limit....I hope they are enjoying hell because we still live it everyday........

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The reason why drunken drivers are treated so leniently is because far too many of them are politicians.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> The reason why drunken drivers are treated so leniently is because far too many of them are politicians.
In Traverse City, we had a judge who would routinely be stopped for DUI and then given a ride home. His nickname was the hangin' judge, because if you went before him for DUI, you got the max, first offense or not. And it was laughable when he was finally ticketed by a gutsy but honest cop. Believe it or not his case came up before HIM! And he sentenced himeslf to somewhat less jail time, with wokr release. At least he didn't get off. :)

Realgun

Commander

Well the sad fact is this Today my child turned 9.<br />Actually thats a great thing!<br /><br />There was a woman I would not call her that but she was driving her car at a guestimated 100 MPH in a 55 Mph zone the only 1 on the city freeways as the trucks tend to turn over there. She hit 1 car and then slamed into another and killed an 8 year old boy and the Mother, friend, and 5 yr old brother are in the hospital.<br /><br />Now you tell me should we hang then or just ship them to a mexican prison?

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Have you ever been to a function, such as wedding etc: and look at the table where the cities finest sit and see the glasses piled up and then they drive home intoxcicated??????<br /><br />We had a clerk of courts, who was never sober, many accidents and never lost his license!!! ;) :cool: