DRIP DRIP ---DRIPPING OIL 1/4 quart per HR

minnow44

Cadet
:) From The MINNOW
I have a smooth running 3.0 liter GM in a 19ft SeaWhirl.
300rpm to 4200rpm smooth and strong in all waters.

I also have a scarry DRIP DRIP DRIP oil leak in the front of the engine, behind the dynamic balancer (A Front Main Seal?) or (Timing Gear cover gasket?):eek: About 1 cup(big cup) per hour at 3000 rpm with 45 PSI oil pressure.

Anyone out there ever try using one of those OIL LEAK Sealing additives in the crank case? Those that are guaranteed to repair leaky main bearing seals by softening and swelling the seal rubber and gasket materials.

Have you had a similar leak ....what did you do? Please don't say... "Replace engine"

Minnow

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: DRIP DRIP ---DRIPPING OIL 1/4 quart per HR

How mechnically inclined are you? I'd remove the balancer and take a look, you should be able to see where it's dripping. I'm not sure about the 3.0, but if it's like most of GM's engines you can replace that seal without removing the timing cover. It's easier with the cover off, but it can be done. Even if it needs a timing cover gasket they are not difficult to replace.

fishrdan

Admiral

I've only had the stop leak fix 1 leaky seal in all the times I've tried it. It was worth all the times the stop leak failed since it was a transmission front pump seal that it cured, would have been a royal PITA to replace that seal.

Will it work on your 3.0? $10 gamble and look at it as a bandaid fix that could stop working with disastrous results. I'd pull the balancer and see what's going on. If you pull the timing cover you need to align the timing cover/crank seal over the crank, so that when the harmonic balancer is installed the seal will ride on it centered, not off center and leaking. Also, once you disturb the front engine mount you will need to check the engine alignment.

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A straight drip is more likely to be coming from the timing cover or pan. The front seal will more likely send at least some oil flying from the rotating crank.

Try tightening the timing cover bolts and pan bolts. It's important not to overtighten

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Is this a Saltwater boat,..?? If so,... I'd sooner think the timing cover is Rotted Out,+ leaking....
If Not,... Just change the Seal....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Never put that stop leak stuff in your engine. Find the problem and fix it. Like Bondo said, it is going to be the timing cover or the seal. Both are not that difficult.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Never put that stop leak stuff in your engine. Find the problem and fix it. Like Bondo said, it is going to be the timing cover or the seal. Both are not that difficult.

YES.YES.YES.

That stuff is like all the other "Trans/Engine Fix in a Can" snake oils.....They're just profit centers for retailers. The only way to fix a leak...... IS TO FIX THE LEAK as described above.

Cheers,

Rick

minnow44

Cadet

Thanks for the replies guys

A close inspection with flashlite and mirrors and a peekaboo observasion between the spokes of the balancer shows a rusty bottom of the timing cover ...an oily rusty blob. This also is confirmed by the oil drip coming from only one of the two tin flanges behind the dynamic balancer , the front (bow) one, which is the timing cover flange, not from the other one closer to the engine block.

I also have very little confidence in the "SnakeOil Sealants" so the boat is in my shop, lights are on, coffee is brewing, and I will soon be on my way to town to get proper supplies/parts for a permanent repair.

Thanks for your valuable responses.:)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Take pictures,+ come on back 'n Tell Us about it,....;)