drilling prop,, good, bad ?

monolithic

Cadet
115 L6 1982 I was told I could drill the prop to help with the bottom end. How manny hole per blade and what size? THANKS

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: drilling prop,, good, bad ?

One hole per blade, 1/8" or 3/16 is a good place to start from.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The hole is drilled in the hub on the low pressure side of each blade. The position of the holes is very critical and if you don't have the right dimensions you'll mess up a good prop. I'll have a look around and see if I can find the piece of paper with the info on it.<br /><br />Chris..............<br /><br />EDIT : Found it. If you'd like I'll e-mail it to you. Just post your e-mail address.....<br /><br />
watermark.php

monolithic

Cadet

Thanks for the info, will be drilling later today. The diagram is the best. Now I just have to figure out the choke. Will let you know how it goes.

monolithic

Cadet

Well. drilled the prop.. Made a good difference. Glad I did,

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Nice to hear of a good result.

erniex

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So drilling the prop will help with with the bottom end without affecting top end rpms? Can you explain and post the info for all to see?

phatmanmike

Captain

i did mine, 1976 115 inline 6 merc , with 3/16" holes... works great except i noticed if i turn too sharp at fast speeds, it ventilates untill i lower the throttle. i would reccomend starting out with size 1/8" and working up from there, one hole ata time, and only 1/16 at a time

BassMan31

Seaman Apprentice

wondering if this hole drilling would help a 15 hp motor any.