Drilling holes for new bilge pump

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Afternoon all!!
Picked up a new pump to upgrade the volume flow of my old one. Everything fits except the new bolt pattern doesn't match the old one (of course) I filled the old holes with silicone, and went to drill pilot holes for new ones, but the drill doesn't fit between the hull and the bottom of the oil pump. Aside from taking the engine out, is there any tricks to drilling new holes? I tried using self tap screws, but they aren't biting into the hull.

Thanks!!!

alldodge

Staff member
Get a 90 degree drill attachment. Should be at most any hardware store

harringtondav

Commander
I added a float switch to my pump. Removing the screws was a fight. I think I used a 1/4" ratchet and 1/4" drive bits in a socket. I attached the pump and float switch to a long strip of brass (SS would work too) with small SS hardware, and slid the assembly as far back under the engine, close to the bilge bung, as I could.

I had to add two 90 degree flat bends to the metal strip so I could access a flat section in front of the engine's crank balancer to sink two screws.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Could always mix up some quality JB Weld and use that to install the new pump. It will stay put but then you will have to chisel it out to change it down the road. :decision:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Mount the pump to a piece of cedar that has been saturated with paint or stain. Then epoxy the wood base (with attached pump) to the hull.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use acetone to clean the hull. use JB weld to glue the base down.