Dreaded lower unit bearing carrier..

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hope someone can help.

Milk in my 1988 225HP (2.7L) Sea Drive. I know what caused it. Fishing line.

I have never been able to pull the entire bearing carrier out. Now is the time for a complete re-seal. (I've re-sealed everything before--except the bearing carrier O-ring.)

I can't jerk that carrier out. Could anyone help?

I've tried:

Created a puller from my "harmonic pull tool.". I pulled that bas*ard as hard as I could. Nothing.

I've used "bolt releasing oil." no dice.

I've lightly heated the LU housing with a propane torch. Not TOO much, I don't want to ruin the housing.

I've tapped -- lightly -- with a hammer. No go.

Could anyone suggest what else to do?

How much should I heat this? How much force can the thrust bearings tolerate??

Or at least, make a recommendation how to pull the INNER seal out without removing the bearing carrier.

Thank you!

Ken
Red Bank, NJ

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dreaded lower unit bearing carrier..

You won't damage any bearings by using the puller becaust it is not pulling against the bearings.

Salt water motor, right? You may have to get meaner. Get that puller on it and twanging tight, then heat the case around the area of the outer rim of the carrier. Get it hot. Problem is, you need a lot of heat in order to get the case hot quicker than the carrier. Otherwise they both expand at the same rate and nothing is accomplished.

Then there is the expand-it-with-couple-of-hammers method. I don't know if I want to share that...anybody else want to?

If all else fails and there is no alternative, you may have to destroy the carrier. Take a drll and drill a couple of holes through the rim of the carrier, going fore and aft in direction and spaced around the circumference as far as you can without coming to the web. Using larger bits, make the holes bigger till the bit is about to touch the case. Then use a hammer and punch to knock the section between the drillings out. Then the carrier will no longer be a complete circle and will be "loose" in the case....relatively speaking.....and should pull out.

Mind you, this is major last resort surgery. Try everything else first.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

By any odd chance is this a counter rotating gearcase?

Just a thought -- fishing line won't hurt the carrier O ring. It will damage the propshaft seals but you don't need to remove the carrier to replace the seals.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is a standard-rotation engine, sir.

My problem? I would love to not pull the bearing carrier. The trouble is: How do I remove the inside seal from the shaft?

I've tried punching holes in the seal and pulling it.. no go.

I am worried about drilling because I am worried about scoring the prop shaft OR getting steel filings into the lower unit case.

What technique do you use to pull that inside seal??

Thank you!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There's a special tool for pulling the seals. It takes less than 5 minutes to pull them and about the same to install new ones. It takes longer to drain & refill the gearcase than to change the seals.

Call your dealer and ask if he has the tool. If not, he's probably not an authorized BRP dealer. That tool was required from OMC for an authorized dealer many, many moons ago.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I can at least convey a solution to the forum:

I took your collective advice: I gave up pulling on that bearing carrier. It's corroded in. Neither Propane nor MAPP gas was insufficient to heat the body sufficiently fast.

I really appreciate the advice.

Instead, I did as you suggest, and remove the seal. Unless it is necessary, I recommend against pulling a stuck carrier.

I admit: I jerked that lower seal out by prying and deforming the seal body with a "re-shaped" screwdriver (thanks to a fine wheeled grinder.) There's minimal scoring on the seal journal. Nothing a little "RTV" will not seal.

Dhadley, I already started down this path before you replied.

The secret I kept in my back pocket: I have a spare bearing carrier. So, I felt a bit bold. Worst case? I replace the bearing carrier after I "break" the old one

I'll pressure test the LU tomorrow morning, then decide whether I can declare victory.

Thank you again, gents.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Victory, gents.

Thank you again!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the follow up! Congrats!