Draw Bar / Stinger is loose, what to do?

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, I have a 2 inch receiver, 2 separate cars, and the draw bar wiggles on both of them. Is there a good way to get rid of the extra play? I've tried skinny wood shims, and even a metal shim, and those both work. Problem is I don't like to leave the draw bar on, and it makes it very hard to get the bar out with the shims pounded in.

I'm thinking of puting some welding beads on the outside surface of the male part, then grinding it down till it's a snug but not tight fit. Thoughts?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Draw Bar / Stinger is loose, what to do?

If you make it fit tight, the slightest amount of rust will cause it to stick in the receiver. Mine is a little loose as well. Does no harm. It rattles a little without the trailer so its annoying that way, but it makes no noise with the trailer in tow. As long as you remove it anyway, don't worry about it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Nature of the beast. They all do that.

As long as the movement is up/down or left/right, you are ok.
If it is sliding in and out, the hole is worn or the pin is too small.

Perhaps you do not have enough tongue weight on your trailer.

More tongue weight will keep it from moving some.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

All you need to do is design and fabricate a set of bearings and cages fitted to all four sides of the drawbar.
What is it about the "extra play" that you dislike?
Have you considered turning up the volume on the radio?

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

I have done the bead of weld on two sides then grind/file to fit. I have also drilled and tapped a hole on the under side of the female part of the reciever and put a 3/8 bolt in there and tightened when male part is installed. That also works well. If using this method try to drill/tap the hole ahead of the cross pin if possible. Some people say the drill/tap method compromises the integrity of the hitch, but I have done several hitches and had no trouble with any of them.

DougV>

55Crestliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I might try the bolt. Could even use a Thumbscrew I bet to eliminate a wrench each time. Just wanted to hear from someone who's done it to see if it was worth the effort.

Thanks.

Pony

Rear Admiral

IMHO drilling and tapping etc is just an invitation for more rust. Every hitch has play as others have said, its supposed to be that way. FWIW my neighbor bought a truck that had a hitch on it already, and the previous owner did something similar to bead welds and never removed the hitch. The thing was so badly rusted we couldn;t get the hitch out no matter what we tried. I suppose if you take the hitch out everytime its ok, but if you dont and it sits a bit you might have issues.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

I agree on the rusting problem, but I never leave the drawbar in (hard on the shins/knees). Also I tighten the bolt down all the way in the off season and use antisieze.

DougV>