Draining water out of a 5.7L Merc

Road Head

Seaman Apprentice
I have been searching, but havent found exactly what I am looking for. There is a ton of info on winterizing, but I am a new boat owner, and would appreciate it if someone would clear it up for me.I got my Seloc manual from iboats, but it doesnt spell it out for me. It says that I should drain the water out, but doesnt go into explicit detail.<br /><br />Winterizing/draining water out of a 1994 5.7L Merc (carbed). What and where should I drain? I know that there is water in the exhaust manifolds, in the main water line, and in the block itself (accessed by the drain plugs). <br /><br />So if someone has a free couple of minutes and doesnt mind, lets assume that I have gotten it up to operating temp in my driveway (using ear muffs). What steps would you take to ensure that all water is drained out of the engine? And if you dont mind, some detail. <br /><br />Example (keep in mind I kind of made this up, I know its a step, but am not certain of the details, or if it should be done first, middle, last, etc): <br />1st - drain water out of both exhaust manifolds. Plug is located in the bottom of the manifold, and be sure to stick a piece of wire up in there and wiggle it around.<br /><br />Thanks for any help.

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Draining water out of a 5.7L Merc

I have a Seloc manual for mercruiser. Order the engine and outdrive manuals from mercruiser. More expensive, but covers your engine/drive specificly. ie you provide the serial numbers of engine and drive, and they provide the right manuals. When I get around to it, need to dump that Selec on ebay.<br /><br />Asumming you have raw water cooling and the '95 is same as '97, there should be at least 4 plastic blue plugs. One in each exhaust manifold, as you mentioned, and one on each side of the block. Hunt for additional blue plugs, along all water hoses. Careful, the blue plugs break very easily. I also removed the large hose on the water pump, and disconnect the supply hose, under the engine. As far as order, I don't think it matters. The same amount of water is going to end up in your bilge and out the drain. <br /><br />Again, get the Merc manuals to be sure.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You've got it....<br />#2 do the block drains the same way<br />#3 Remove large hose at the engine water pump & drain<br />#4 Remove & drain water hoses at power steering cooler....<br />#5 Put drive in down position to drain....<br />That is pretty much it.....JK

Road Head

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I hate asking, but would rather ask than make a stupid (and costly) mistake.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Lots of Great Info there,.........<br /><br />The only thing I can think of to Add,..........<br /><br />If Your '94 Does have those Blue Plastic Plugs that screw into those Black Plastic housings,...................<br /><br />Go to the retailer of your choice,+ Buy a set of Brass Drain Plugs..............<br /><br />I Guarantee that If it hasn't happened Yet,...........<br />Both the Blue,+/or the Black piece Will Disintegrate,+ fall Off in your hand............ :mad: <br /><br />The 1s in the Block are 1/4" pipe thread,.... The others maybe 1/4", or 1/8" pipe........... ;)