draining water from volvo penta sx?

Mercerdude

Recruit
I have a '99 5.0 Volvo Penta SX. For winterizing, the Volvo Penta manual says to drain the water from the pivot housing on the outdrive by removing the water drain plug on the port side of the pivot housing, HOWEVER, there is NO drain plug. <br /><br />Any suggestions on how to remove all the water from the drive unit? Thanks

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: draining water from volvo penta sx?

I don't know if the housing is exactly the same as the pivot housing on my OMC Cobra (the Volvo SX used some of OMC's castings), but on the Cobra you have to tilt the drive up to see the plugs--there are 2 on the starboard side (hidden unless tilted) and one on the port side (not hidden when down). BTW, I have removed these and ususally there in no water in there, but you should to be sure. Put a little marine grease on the threads to prevent corrosion.

Mercerdude

Recruit
Re: draining water from volvo penta sx?

Thanks. In the manual, it shows one plug on the port side. I've looked for the plug that is shown on the port side with the drive tilted up, but it's not there. I'm wondering if they made it inaccessible, or left it off for the reason you stated - water drains normally elsewhere..