draining fuel

b-man

Cadet
Hi,
Just wanting to know the easiest way to drain some fuel out of my tank, have a onboard fuel tank.Had some gas left in it since sept 08 think it might be a bad by now?Wanting to get ready for lake, did not want to chance it. Have a carb system, some told me to unhook the gas line going to fuel pump and use primer bulb and squeeze it like I am going to start it and it start a suction after a while and drain most of it self. Is this a good way? Thanks

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Re: draining fuel

I use a motorcycle electric fuel pump and attach it to the fuel line and a fuel container I don't think that squeezing the bulb well do!!

NYBo

Admiral

Even without fuel stabilizer, the gas is probably still good, as long as it hasn't become contaminated with water. Try the sniff test: If it smells like paint thinner, it's gone bad and needs to be disposed of.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Depending when the ethanol blend was introduced into your neighborhood it would be safer just to drain it. ( If appropriate ) Ethanol is a great moisture retaining chemical. With a boat and its open type venting system the moisture has a direct path to your tank and its contents.
Drain what you have and use it for the lawn mower - or whatever. A can or two of Sea Foam will certainly not hurt ( depending on your tankage ) if you decide to try and salvage it. Not my first choice however.
Also remember that ethanol is a superb cleaning agent, so any crud that may of accumulated in your tank is now floating around just waiting to clog up your filter, your carb and just about anything else it can.
It is not very user friendly for marine motors.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remove the guage sending unit. get a hose that will go thru the transom drain, and siphon the fuel out of the tank.