Draining engine block for winter, question..?

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Call me anal but how do you make sure you get all the water out? I mean my manual says to make sure you pay attention to the low spots. Well umm, I can't exactly tilt the engine...is it being level good enough?

Volvo 3.0 Penta SX - Also on the outdrive there is a screw/drain to let water out, water NEVER comes out of that when I check it. Is that normal? Yes I poked it with a close hanger to make sure it wasn't clogged.

Thanks!

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Draining engine block for winter, question..?

I did what's called wet winterizing on our 4.3 V6 last fall and I'll be doing it that way again this fall. I can now sleep on those -40 degree winter nights! It involves draining the block as recommended then pouring anti-freeze into various points on the engine to mix with any remaining water. You'll want to use a propylene glycol based anti-freeze to avoid any environmental contamination in the spring.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

Ideally think if pull the drain plugs out and leave them out all winter you will be just fine.

You may have to pull the hoses off the manifolds I needed to do that on my 7.4 as there are no plugs that are excessable that I can see.

I pulled the plugs ou ton ym 4.3 last winter and a few times Id go back and check them and most of the time no water drained out once I got it all drained.

Then 2 weeks ago I opend the plugs again and I get quite a bit of water out of it. I havent used my ski boat at all this year and I dont remember running the engine since I drained it. So now that the boat is sitting and not in use I just leave the plugs open all the time and stored where I can find them.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a problem when I left out the drain plugs on one point on the engine as the thread rusted.

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did what's called wet winterizing on our 4.3 V6 last fall and I'll be doing it that way again this fall. I can now sleep on those -40 degree winter nights! It involves draining the block as recommended then pouring anti-freeze into various points on the engine to mix with any remaining water. You'll want to use a propylene glycol based anti-freeze to avoid any environmental contamination in the spring.

Ya, Remove the hoses that go to the manifold and block, thats the only place on my 3.0 the water goes. Poor down some Antifreeze in there, I thought about that.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

If you want to be extra careful ( and it makes sense to be extra careful), drain the block and hoses, remove the thermostat, and reconnect everything, and then run a flush through the engine. You do that by rigging up a boiler valve to the bottom of a 5-gallon pail. Pour 4 or 5 gallons on antifreeze into the pail. Hook up a washing machine hose to your muffs on the outdrive. Open the valve and start the engine. When the antifreeze is gone, shut the engine down. Fog the engine, as usual for the winter. Now open the hoses, thermostat housing, etc. and fill everything with antifreeze. This will "waste" some antifreeze when it flows out, but this way you're assured you got all the little corners.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you want to be extra careful ( and it makes sense to be extra careful), drain the block and hoses, remove the thermostat, and reconnect everything, and then run a flush through the engine. You do that by rigging up a boiler valve to the bottom of a 5-gallon pail. Pour 4 or 5 gallons on antifreeze into the pail. Hook up a washing machine hose to your muffs on the outdrive. Open the valve and start the engine. When the antifreeze is gone, shut the engine down. Fog the engine, as usual for the winter. Now open the hoses, thermostat housing, etc. and fill everything with antifreeze. This will "waste" some antifreeze when it flows out, but this way you're assured you got all the little corners.
Why go thru all that trouble when all you really have to do is to drain everything & pour antifreeze into the block & manifold{s}? Your method sounds like the contraption that is being sold where you suck up antifreeze thru the outdrive. Do it wrong, & you end up with a cracked block. No thanx.