drain plugs on 06 Tahoe merc 5.0

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
When you guys talk about removing all the drain plugs for winterizing, are you talking about the 2 metal ones on the bottom side of the manifolds left and right side also. I`ve counted 3 blue plastic plugs and 4 (2 each side) brass plugs under manifolds. I don`t want to miss any. Thanks

cr2k

Captain
Re: drain plugs on 06 Tahoe merc 5.0

Plus there are 2 (one on each side) on the block. About the middle just above the oil pan flange.

And one or 2 on the heat exchanger.

If the boat is to be parked outside, either park with the drive lowered or cover the prop hub to keep out water that might freeze in the bullet and crack it.

Fun Times

Staff member

When you guys talk about removing all the drain plugs for winterizing, are you talking about the 2 metal ones on the bottom side of the manifolds left and right side also. I`ve counted 3 blue plastic plugs and 4 (2 each side) brass plugs under manifolds. I don`t want to miss any. Thanks
Normaly wth a 06 engine it would be just remove any blue plastic wing nut style plug, there is nothing brass to remove that I remember, But to be safe could you take and post a few photos of the areas you are talking about so some one could help you out with a safer answer.;)

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the help guys! I should have taken pix, but I`m not that computer literate. Sorry. I think I got it figured out. I found one blue plastic drain on each side of the block and 2 others, one on each side of the engine. After I had run the engine for a while on muffs to change the oil, I drained all of the blue plugs which held quite a bit of water. Just to be safe after that, I pulled all the hoses off the thermostat manifold and poured 3 gallons of rv antifreeze in the hoses with the drain plugs reinserted. I believe the thermostat was still open from the running, cause I poured 2 quarts into the manifold, and I could here it going down, somewhere. This 3 gallons may have been overkill, but I have a warm fuzzy that all that fluid found it`s way to every nook and cranny.;)