Drain plug for Alumacraft F-7

jim.minniehan

Recruit
I bought this boat for my very first boat, Alumacraft F-7, boat and trailer $40 ha. The drain plug is missing. Can anybody tell me what's best to use? I'd like to find an OEM part, probably slim chance of that though. My first posting here so any help will be appreciate. Jim

Attachments

• IMG_8047.JPG
    IMG_8047.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8046.JPG
    IMG_8046.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 4

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not sure I would run around wasting time on tracking down a vintage boat plug... which most likely doesn't exist.

Just head off to any boat store with the drain diameter in hand and they will give you something like this:

503661.jpg

You can also get the manual screw type if the quick release makes you nervous

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'm not sure I would run around wasting time on tracking down a vintage boat plug... which most likely doesn't exist.

Just head off to any boat store with the drain diameter in hand and they will give you something like this:
Problem is if it's old enough it could have a scupper/venturi on the outside of the hull bottom (acts as an autobaler) or several other not typical thru holes which won't work w the types you mention.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I believe that boat will have a threaded plug that installs from the inside.
I believe mine was 5/8", fine thread. Had a rubber washer and a wide knurled head.

You may have to get creative and a hardware store to match up the threads and diameter.

jim.minniehan

Recruit

Just head off to any boat store with the drain diameter in hand and they will give you something like th

I believe that boat will have a threaded plug that installs from the inside.
I believe mine was 5/8", fine thread. Had a rubber washer and a wide knurled head.

You may have to get creative and a hardware store to match up the threads and diameter.
Thank you. I found what you're talking about on the boat shown. That's definitely what I want. I'll use the makeshift plug I'm using now until then. Do you recall whether the actual threads of the one of yours had tapered threads? My sense of what I've seen with mine when I've tried different attempts at hardware stores is that the inside threads are tapered and will not accept any kind of standard bolt. Thanks again.

Attachments

• alumacraft-1432607.jpg
    alumacraft-1432607.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 11
  • alumacraft-1432616.jpg
    alumacraft-1432616.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 11
  • alumacraft-1432617.jpg
    alumacraft-1432617.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 13

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'm not aware of a source for that particular plug setup.

May try a machine shop to make you a tapered threaded plug