DP-SM Shift Cable Issue

SCHOOTIE

Recruit
Hello all. Afer re-installing outdrive this year, I'm having issue with not being able to screw in brass fitting on shift cable far enough to line up with the hole on the shift bell. I have the groove in the shift cable firmly in the 'claw/clamp' but the thread portion end of the shift cable seems to be sticking out close to a half inch too far for brass fitting to line up with hole in bell while in neutral. I was able to get it in there with it kind of in a bind but I could tell it wasn't shifting correctly while out on the water. The cable itself is actually sliding smoothly back and forth so can't understand how it couldn't line up unless something is 'stretched' somewhere which seems unlikely to me. It went right back into place last year when I replaced outdrive. Any ideas on what the issue could be?

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Double check where your hold down is positioned there are a couple of spots it will fit into on some cables

SCHOOTIE

Recruit
Thank you, and I had wondered about that myself but I only saw one 'groove'. I looked at my shift lever and saw that the little brass nut was only threaded about halfway through. I adjust it and that allowed my to line by brass nut up down on the outdrive. It's still a mystery to me how it could be different than when I took if off last fall.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Only one thing I can think of is that the cable clamp on the leg is in the wrong place on the cable.