Downrigger

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking into buying an electric downrigger. Would like to spend no more than $500. What are some good ones.

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Downrigger

Cannon seems to work for me. Mine are older models.<br />The only problem I had is that after two years the male/female plug corroded. Cut the plugs and now use male/female connection in order to remove from boat. I fish salt water with mine.<br />The fella that I charter down in the Bahamas when I'm there uses 30' of 1/4" string with a 10lb. lead ball, that is his version of a down rigger. I will have to say that it works.

dmonwai

Seaman

I use Scotty electric downriggers.<br /><br />They are fast, easy to use, draw low amps and have a lifetime warrenty. I have never had any major problems with them and use them every weekend. I will not buy any other brand of electric downrigger.<br /><br />Damon

gss036

Commander

I, second the SCOTTY Downriggers. I have a pair and they are the best around. I have had mine for about10years now.

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the info. I will start looking into scotty.

catmania

Seaman

SCOTTY <br />The best in the west!<br />Others might be good for freshwater fishing, or shallow trolling, but if you want a good all weather all seas downrigger get a scotty. Lifetime warranty! But you will never need it! Never a problem even when fishing 150 feet with anchovie requiring inspection every 15-25 minutes. <br /><br />A downrigger allows you to get your bait or lure down to the fishy depths, using a ~10 pound lead weight attached to a stainless steel cable, with a clip that releases your fishing line when you catch a fish, allowing you to play the fish without the weight. It is essential for getting deeper than 30+ feet while trolling.

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey soulwinner,<br /><br />To answer your question, a down rigger is used for trolling, more specificly to hold your bait at a certain depth with out the need to attach attach a heavy weight or deep 6 to your fishing line. They are two main parts, a boom and a spool of metal wire. you attach a weight(8 - 12lbs) onto the wire and let gravity pull the weight, your fishing line and your bait and/or your flasher to whatever depth you want, place the fishing rod in the poleholder and wait for the fish to strike your bait. Once it does your fishing line will un-clip itself from the weight and you fight the fish, not the weights. Guys like electrics because they make it much easier to bring the weight to the surface, especially if you get a good fighter on and he is trying to wrap your fishing line around the down rigger line. hit the switch and up comes the ball, line etc. Now you can fight the fish (or mudshark in my case ;) ) rather than having to crank it up with one hand and play the fish with one hand.

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never mind, someone already answered, Sorry I got too excited.<br /><br />Yeah, what Catmania said !<br /><br />Atleast I got an extra post in today. :D