Down sizing engines

Bobby O

Cadet
Due to the unfortune nature of power engines to puck their guts, I've decided to replace twin 225 hp Merc Carb engines on a 25' 1995 Robalo with two 150 honda engines. Dumb or not? The net weight is the same. The boat can not handle any more tansom weight. Particularly with my fat *** fishing the stern and all my guest trying to see what I'm trying to land.

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: Down sizing engines

keep your money in your pocket and replace the<br />powerheads on the twin 225's. <br />Unless of coarse they are old junk.

LubeDude

Admiral

Unless you have a LOT more money than I do, I would think you could redo both the 225s and then some for the price of one Honda motor. You can by a lot of fuel and tackle for the remaining money.

ZmOz

Captain

Dumb or not is up to you...but I would certainly never go with less HP...

BillP

Captain

What is your top speed with the 225s?...50+? Going down to 150s will give about 10 mph less mph on that rig. In the ocean you probably can't even use all the ponies the 150s have. If you are running inland then the rules change and speed is king.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would think more about getting one 300hp heck of a lot less weight and will out perform 2 150's but then what do i know, i try to always go the cheap route.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

I'd guess that the 225's won't puke their guts near as often if you don't run them at WOT all the time. I'm not familiar with that engine and don't know what their particular weak points are, but the rules of physics/engineering are generally consistent across the board. Keep the rpm's down a little and you eliminate most of the worst of the internal extreme stresses, which translate to longer life. <br />I suspect BillP is correct, but you will then be pushing the Hondas harder than you'd have to push the Mercs if you just throttle back a bit. <br /><br />Or just wait a year or two for Merc to get the bugs out of the big Verado :)

Bobby O

Cadet

Originally posted by Bearcat Powered:<br /> I'd guess that the 225's won't puke their guts near as often if you don't run them at WOT all the time. I'm not familiar with that engine and don't know what their particular weak points are, but the rules of physics/engineering are generally consistent across the board. Keep the rpm's down a little and you eliminate most of the worst of the internal extreme stresses, which translate to longer life. <br />I suspect BillP is correct, but you will then be pushing the Hondas harder than you'd have to push the Mercs if you just throttle back a bit. <br /><br />Or just wait a year or two for Merc to get the bugs out of the big Verado :)

Bobby O

Cadet

The 225's are 10 years old, bought 7 years ago from a charter fishing captain. I had already gone from 21" props to 19" to limit strain. I never ran them WOT for the reason of not overstressing them, also the gas burn limited my offshore range too much if I went over 4200 rpms.

Bobby O

Cadet

Originally posted by NOSLEEP:<br /> keep your money in your pocket and replace the<br />powerheads on the twin 225's. <br />Unless of coarse they are old junk.

Bobby O

Cadet

1995 models and purchased 7 years ago from an offshore charter captain.

Bobby O

Cadet

History on the motors, almost 10 years old, purchased 7 years from an offshore charter captain. Primary use is long offshore runs. Hardly ever run over 35 mph even in flat seas long. Also bring my wife and kids out alot. Dependablity and extra range means alot.