down riggers and lobster pots

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Whenever I go wire lining and jigging I seem to get in trouble with lobster pots.I hate the damn things.I want to cut them loose or empty them out in revenge for disturbing my fishing experience.Of course I just drag them up and untie my line, but after doing that a few times I have to sit down and rest cause the darned things are so heavy.<br />Did anybody ever come up with a gadget on a down rigger that allows you to jig but that will release the wire after a hit?<br />That way there would only be 75 foot of jig line behind me instead of up to 300 and sometimes more.<br />If you heard of anybody trying, please get his opinion and experience on this board before I become a violent lobsterpot hater.

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: down riggers and lobster pots

:) You had better check into a gym !!! :p <br /><br />I haul ten traps every three days one after another and I consider myself a physical wreck!!! :D :D <br /><br />Down riggers and traps don't mix <br /><br />Don't know where ya fish most of the time!!!But if you fished in our waters every day you would have about 10,000 traps to contend with when inshore fishing!!!<br /><br />And by the way Rolmops!!! I'm still trying to get my pictures of stripers posted but so far I'm having a hard time getting them on photobucket.com!!! ;) :cool: