Don S- hard shifting bravo 3. MCM Gear upgrade kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

collawash

Seaman
I have a 1999 B3 with 7.4 liter, serial OL440701 and 2:1 ratio. I've owned it since it had 93 hours on it and it now has 235 hours. I took it to a different shop for u-joint, gimbal lube and shift cable assy. The shift cable bellow was cracked, leaking some water and toasted the cable. It's always been kind of stiff shifter, but no growling or chattering. In past boats, I've had Merc #1, Alpha, Volvo and OMC in the past, most were much more clunkier than the B3. I just figured that's the way B3's should be. The shop mentioned it SHOULD shift a whole heck of alot easier than it does. In the upper unit, he changed everything but the clutch, shaft and gears. This made it a little better and liveable. He also said Merc came up with a $1000-1300 gear upgrade kit to solve this problem in older B3's like mine. The kit has new gears and clutch? I was a bit skeptical until I drove a drove someone else' boat with a 2001 B3 drive!!!s OMG! It was so much smoother in and out of gear than mine. <br /><br />I'm giving the gear upgrade kit some serious thought. Don S. or anyone else, what can you tell me about this? I see ebasicpower makes mention of the merc svc bulletin in their catalogue, but no specifics. Anyone here have this done to their B3? Was it worth it? Let me know...

collawash

Seaman
Re: Don S- hard shifting bravo 3. MCM Gear upgrade kit?

FYI, I've gotten use to the stiff shifting at the helm. Compared to the boat I drove, there's a world of difference. Judging by the lack of responses, I'm assuming there's not a whole lotta boaters with the same prob.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There could be any number of reasons for the stiff shifting, doubt it's the gears. You might disconnect the lower shift cable from the engine connection, and with the engine at idle manually shift the cable in and out of gear. <br />Also check the controller while the cable is disconnected. If it is still hard to shift, it could be binding cables or controller problems, any of which are a lot cheaper to repair than replacing gears.<br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/96/96_05.pdf <br /><br />I have found several boats with stiff shifting that had the cables wire tied down so tight they could barely move or binding because the cables were up against the boat where the cables couldn't pivot in the housing.

collawash

Seaman

Yep, the shop checked everything. They checked all the components from helm to stern and the shifting issue seems to be in the outdrive unfortunately. With a 28 foot cruiser, none of the cables have any tight bends or obstructions. When I disconnect the cables to recheck the shop's work, every cable helm to stern is like new. With the new parts put on, it did not make the shifting that much smoother, just different? It's hard to explain, but thankfully the boat's current condition is very livable. Just frustrating...

Don S

Make sure the cables are not tied down or binding where the cables go into the controller. or anything wiretied to the cables. The cable needs to be free for about the first 2 feet from the controller.<br />Was the lower cable ever replaced?

I have a 1999 B3 with 7.4 liter, serial OL440701 and 2:1 ratio. I've owned it since it had 93 hours on it and it now has 235 hours. I took it to a different shop for u-joint, gimbal lube and shift cable assy. The shift cable bellow was cracked, leaking some water and toasted the cable. It's always been kind of stiff shifter, but no growling or chattering. In past boats, I've had Merc #1, Alpha, Volvo and OMC in the past, most were much more clunkier than the B3. I just figured that's the way B3's should be. The shop mentioned it SHOULD shift a whole heck of alot easier than it does. In the upper unit, he changed everything but the clutch, shaft and gears. This made it a little better and liveable. He also said Merc came up with a $1000-1300 gear upgrade kit to solve this problem in older B3's like mine. The kit has new gears and clutch? I was a bit skeptical until I drove a drove someone else' boat with a 2001 B3 drive!!!s OMG! It was so much smoother in and out of gear than mine. <br /><br />I'm giving the gear upgrade kit some serious thought. Don S. or anyone else, what can you tell me about this? I see ebasicpower makes mention of the merc svc bulletin in their catalogue, but no specifics. Anyone here have this done to their B3? Was it worth it? Let me know...

Don...Remember this post ? That is the same thing the mechanic told me...

Don S

Just put a link to this post in YOUR post, lets not try to deal with your problem in 2 different threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.