dolphins

mollyog74

Seaman Apprentice
Just had an awesome experience this last weekend and wonder if anyone else has something to share. While cruising along the coast of Dana Point, we were surrounded by a school of dolphins. We cut the engines to look at them and for fear of hurting/scaring them, but they just kept going round and round us. They were waiting and waiting. Finally my husband started the engine and they just continued circling us. Well when we started moving, they got excited, they wanted to play, they wanted to race. So we picked up the speed a little and they stayed right at our bow, sometimes going under our boat to the other side. It was very cool. Have you ever seen this? Are we risking hurting the little guys?

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: dolphins

Three weekends ago driving along just on the plane say 15/20mph looked over he side and saw a dolphin under the bow. He came out of the water and I just stayed going in straight lines forward and backwards. They know what they are doing and seem to like the speed of the boat. There were three of them and they stayed playing for 45mins then bang gone! As its rare to see them in the UK we asked around and in the summer sometimes they come to beaches and swim with the kids , really sociable.

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes Molly,They love to play and we use to see this all the time when I was in the Navy.Doesn't matter the size of the ship or boat.We had times where they would play off the bow wake for literaly hours.Wonderful intelligent animals.None around the great lakes.Too bad,I miss them.hope you get a chance like that again and don't forget your camera.

mollyog74

Seaman Apprentice

Well I got pics this last trip, but the kids were not with us. Wish they could have seen it. They love to see the seals that hang out around, I can't imagine how excited they would have been to see the grace and acrobats of the dolphins at our bow. I hope to see them again. <br /><br />Again, anyone know if there is any chance we could hurt them with our prop? The go under the boat sometimes. Is there a speed too fast or too slow for safety?

Kesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm glad I saw this post. Here at the Mochima National Park, you can see dolphins in almost every trip to the islands. It is amazing to see those inteligent mammals grouping and playing with your boat. They know you are there, and they know you want to see them, so they cross your bow, dissapear here and appear there, etc. Everybody onboard loves to see the dolphins, not to talk about the effect they have on the kids (you can see the surprise in their faces!!!).<br /><br />I always have my camera with me. Some pics I took can be seen here:<br /><br /> http://home1.nikonnet.com/servlet/c...ASSWORD=nikoneditor_213939699&WHO=memberguest

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a kid, I was in Alaska with my parents friends that had a 26' TullyCraft, we had Dolfins playing with the boat almost every time we went somewhere, Ray (The Owner of the Boat) said that they pick up the sound of the motor and then kinda surf on the bow wake and that they have no trouble keeping up 30+ mph for quite a while. I really enjoyed watching them for hours.<br /><br />Thanks for rminding me of that childhood memory.<br /><br /> http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php?photo=13004&sort=7&thecat=500&password= <br /><br />Craig

Porpoises do that, too, and our kids always get so excited every time they join us! It is a lot of fun, and I am always struck by what athletes they are!

magster65

Commander

Neato! In the northwest we have poropises (mini dolphins) that do the same thing. They like to ride the pressure wave your boat creates when under way but they get bored if you stop. Thanks for sharing :)

mollyog74

Seaman Apprentice

maybe i saw porpoises & not dolphins. They were small, grey & white. Does anyone know if dolphins or porpoises live in southern ca?

mattttt25

Commander

one of the most amazing experiences i've had- had my jet ski in mission bay, san diego. followed a friend through the inlet to the ocean. calm day, but a few high rollers. suddenly, we were surrounded by porpoises. must have been thousands of them migrating up the coast. we started to run with them and they loved it. one on each side of me and one directly underneath the jet ski. i would reach out a touch them as they jumped and swam. if i turned, they followed. lasted about 30 minutes and then they were gone. never ran into them again.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Molly...thems is porpoise...truly man's best friend... :) :cool:

gaugeguy

Captain

I've been surfing at Lower Trestles and had them swim so close we could touch them.