Dolphins in the bay

sasto

Captain
Re: Dolphins in the bay

That's cool, Richard!

Here is one I captured...:eek:.......on camera.:D They like to play in our wake.

attachment.php

Attachments

• dolphin.jpg
    dolphin.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 0

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Now that's a fine pic sasto. My little digital camera takes a pretty nice pic but by the time I see the dolphin, point and shoot, the durn thing is back underwater. You must have a camera with "rapid shoot" (whatever it's called).

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

I didn't realize until well into the vid that my buddy was chummin them:eek:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

great.....now I miss boating in Florida too........

thanks for the pics and vids. used to take the kids to see dolphins in the bow wake of a few freighters outside of tampa.

Philster

Captain

Nice pics.

As for missing Florida: The whole east coast is riddled with Dolphin packs. You could be running in the Chesapeake, Delaware or the Ocean (e.g., MD, DE, NJ) and come off plane suddenly for fear of hitting a dolphin in the huge packs. And man, if the surf is pounding, get ready, because they are much better aeronautical daredevils than any surfer I've seen! On the beach in NJ, you can be within 20' of a huge pack just chilling in the surf as a beach-goer.

Florida ain't got all the fish.

Or mammals! :D

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Haven't seen it this year yet and when I do, I'll get everyone some video. The cannonball jelly fish move in and the dolphin throw them back and forth with their snout...it is a SCREAM:D

Tyme2fish

Commander

I was able to fish Panama City Bay in March while the Spanish Mackerel were running. Dolphins surrounded our boat but they must have been gorged because they didn't mess with our fish. The previous year, we could barely get the fish in the boat before flipper was after them,stealing them from our hooks. Nice video.

Water_God32

Seaman

Haven't seen it this year yet and when I do, I'll get everyone some video. The cannonball jelly fish move in and the dolphin throw them back and forth with their snout...it is a SCREAM:D

That sounds awesome can't wait for that video!

sasto

Captain

You must have a camera with "rapid shoot" (whatever it's called).

Not really, Richard. There were probably a half dozen playing in the wake. I just happen to get the timing in just right.

They come into the cove here where I'm at quite frequently to feed. The other day they were flinging a large snook around. Playing with it till one gulped it down. Word around here is if you see a dolphin, your day will be filled with luck. I guess I feeling very lucky.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Admiral told me the next time out she wants to circumnavigate Little St. George Island. I'll take some video for all to see the various sights along the way. Until then, here's some pics of what you'll likely get in the vid:

Bob Sikes Cut (east end of LSG, lookin east)the cut.jpgOn a typical visit, we will anchor up on the inside corner (lower right) and grill out on the beach...fishing the tide swings is great.

West Pass (west end of LSG, looking east)west pass.jpgThe shelling is outstanding on this beach. During horseshoe crab breeding season there will be thousands...so many you can't get on the beach!

sasto

Captain

Nice pics, Richard.

I was returning from the Great Lakes in the mid 90's right after a hurricane. I believe it was Opal. It was an eerie ride from Mobile Bay to Pensacola. I don't believe there was a marina left at the time. Was your area part of that disaster?

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

I moved to SGI shortly after Opal, in 1999, so I didn't see it firsthand, but yeah this area got wacked pretty good. What I do recall vividly is the two storms in 04 (Ivan, I believe) and 05 (Dennis) that flooded my ground floor each time (about 2'). The clean up after Ivan was horrible as I had carpeting...it was 1/2" thick in bay "muck" and the only way to get it out was to cut into manageable pieces and pick it up with a "bear hug". YUUUUCK! Decided then and there...no more carpet! During the repairs moved all electrical up to 4' from the floor, cut drywall up to 42", removed all insulation and replaced with hardisheet leaving a nice vent at the bottom above the sole plate (to drain and ventilate). Replaced carpet with tile. Dennis struck the next year and clean up consisted of some easy pressure washing and a wetvac. We've been lucky since then.