Dolphin rigs

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Dolphin rigs

8/0 double hooks in all my lures, Dolphin are not shy and will eat anything. Lost too many on singles during the fight (usually when they jump). Doubles solved that.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

It appears that you don't have to live in the Fl Keys in order to catch dolphin any more. They have been catching them as far north as Brookings Oregon.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I agree with Bigjohn1, and when they're coming up to jump reel, reel, reel, reel, reel, you have to keep the line tight. :D

shrimp1

Recruit

has any fished on the north shore of Jamaica? I have heard you can get into dolphin, wahoo, and tarpon as little as 1/4 mile from shore. What lures do you recommend for these fish? Bought a 3.5 hp west bend shrimp yesterday, and finally got it running. Does anyone know anything about these motors? Need pull clutch and would like to know where the fuel filter goes. Thanks Guys,
Roger Blume

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A fairly broad question (lures for those fish and the motor question). I'l can't help you with the motor but I can put plenty of Wahoo and Mahi in the boat.

1. MAHI - if they are hungry, they will attack just about any trolled lure out there regardless of size. That said, here is what works best for me. I bring an assortment of 6" jet head style lures AND an assortment of 6" flat concave head lures (we call them MAC Heads and they skip up and down as they are trolled). Some days, the Mahi are shy for one style but will take the other style readily. One thing is for sure, if they are there and are hungry, they WILL take one or the other repeatedly.

2. WAHOO. This can be a difficult fish to continually catch. There is a defined season for them in all the oceans of the world so find out from locals what month(s) they bite in Jamaica. You can spend thousands on various Wahoo lures but one of the all-time favorites is the Braid Marauder or Zozuri Bonita. Buy the large size (10.5") in tiger striped pattern or dark purple or dark red/black. Very important - make sure you buy the bodels with swiveliing single hooks attached and not the models with double hooks. Wahoo will frequently spit a double hook rig out through leverage. When you hook one, DO NOT STOP THE BOAT as you reel them in! You have to keep constant pressure on their mouths or they will spit the hook. When you leader them, simply pull them up the transom and they will lie there dead till you whack them with your bat. Although many people gaff them, they will go ballistic when you do and are a huge hazard to anyone onboard due to their teeth.

Best time of the day to catch Wahoo is EARLY in the morning as the sun begins to rise or during a moving tide (outgoing seems to be better than incoming).