Doing a Full Removal 1986 Mercruiser 3.0L 140 hp Engine Question

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm going to pull my engine and remove it from the boat altogether, I'm redoing my transom.

Question, I'm going to build a platform for the engine lift so I have enough room to clear it from the boat when I pull it. About how high should I build the platform for clearance. It's a basic 2 ton engine hoist. I'm thinking 2 feet high platform should do it. Your thoughts or ideas.

alldodge

Staff member
Without knowing your given boat and setup

Merc list the carb 3.0
Dimensions (LxWxH) in29 x 26 x 21

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I'm going to pull my engine and remove it from the boat altogether, I'm redoing my transom.

Question, I'm going to build a platform for the engine lift so I have enough room to clear it from the boat when I pull it. About how high should I build the platform for clearance. It's a basic 2 ton engine hoist. I'm thinking 2 feet high platform should do it. Your thoughts or ideas.
i think when I looked at building a gantry when I did mine I think I needed the lifting point to be around 10 ft maybe higher. So 2ft is probably too low. remember the legs have to go under the boat/engine.

Depends on how high the gunnels are when you are on the trailer. Have seen folks take the wheels off the trailer and put the hubs on a board to get some height reduction.

might be worth seeking if a local wrecker with a boom can do it affordably or just build a gantry out of wood.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I built a gantry, 10' high. That was cutting it close. I had planned on taking it apart when done, but haven't. I know that as soon as I disassemble it I'll need to pull the engine 😁

karayj

Chief Petty Officer
I did my gantry by measuring the ground to the top of the transom then I added 4 feet for the engine. Remember for the chain pulley you loose about 1 foot . I bought a 1 heavy duty foot chain for the chain pulley to hang on.
There are many gantry designs you don't have to go nuts .

Yesterday at 11:32 PM

1985 Century Mustang

Petty Officer 1st Class
The engine came out fine with no platform etc needed. Removed the sterndrive first, then jacked the front bow end of the boat up as high as we could with a service jack and some wood planks. It came out rather easily pulled from the stern area. I used a basic 2 ton engine hoist. Thanks everyone.