Does this story sound right to ya'll

Status
Not open for further replies.

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice
CLAY COUNTY, Fla. -- Clay County Sheriff's Office booking photo of Ted Hanner

Next month, a 49-year-old Middleburg man will be in court after a boating accident that killed his son and his son's friend.

Ted Hanner is charged with reckless operation of a boat.

In February, investigators said, Hanner left the controls of his boat moments before it crashed into a low-lying tree on Black Creek.

Travis Hanner, 17, and Halee Mickey, 15, died from the impact.

The tree branch still hangs over the water, despite talk about cutting it down. Most boaters probably wouldn't even notice the tree, which is a half-mile east of Mariners Road in Green Cove Springs. It looks like all the other low-lying trees on Black Creek.

But it's the one all the talk is about that changed two Clay County families forever.

"I mean, I wake up every morning when I do sleep," Ted Hanner said in March, crying about the tragic accident just days after it happened. "Beautiful boy, and I'm going to miss him."

Hanner, his son, Travis, and Travis' friend, Halee, climbed into their 18-foot Baja fishing boat on Feb. 21, President's Day, as is detailed in a newly released report from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The three cruised around for hours, and Ted Hanner later told police he noticed something was wrong with the engine.

Travis Hanner and Halee Mickey

Hanner told investigators that he had been having engine problems all day long and that he had to go to the back of the boat to check the motor and pump the fuel bulb, which, in effect, pushed more fuel into the engine. Hanner was doing this moments before the accident, according to the report.

According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife report, Hanner admitted the throttle was engaged as he tried to rev up the engine. When the engine fired back up, he was more than six feet away from the controls, according to the report. The boat shot forward and turned hard right, heading straight for a low-lying tree at faster than 25 mph, according to the report.

Hanner said the last thing he saw before impact was his son trying to push Halee out of harm's way.

I would think that you would have several seconds to get to the wheel from the time the boat hit WOT to the time it was able to go "faster than 25 mph"

Also will priming the pump make a motor take off?

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Does this story sound right to ya'll

what a sad story..... but think about it... he should have had the boat in neutral.... and stopped. The momentum of the engine catching and firing off would be like a hole-shot.... pretty hard to move forward to get back to the helm....sad mistake.....

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Absolutely if the throttle is forward and the engine is running slowly due to fuel starvation. And getting from the stern to the controls could be very problematic during those few seconds of WOT acceleration and what was probably an increasingly sharp right turn ... :facepalm:

oldjeep

Admiral

I would think that you would have several seconds to get to the wheel from the time the boat hit WOT to the time it was able to go "faster than 25 mph"

Depends on the boat/motor - bass boats take off really fast. And yes, if you were having fuel pump issues, had the throttle down and then pumped gas into it then it could take off.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That is a very sad incident.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Re: I would think that you would have several seconds to get to the wheel from the time the boat hit WOT to the time it was able to go "faster than 25 mph"
Think about a hole shot from a boat in motion. Pretty quick. Plus this one veered on acceleration, so he could have easily lost his balance. And we don't know his speed before he pumped the bulb.

Re: Also will priming the pump make a motor take off? On a well-tuned motor, not likely, becuase you already have a steady stream. But yes on a malfunctioning motor, such as one with a failing fuel pump, bad connections, etc. Also, it may have kicked from one cylinder to the others, or even a bank. hard for us to correctly diagnose when there are so many variables.

How sad. Any of us could have a lapse in judgment that results in tragedy. I'm not the one who is going to be judgmental about the guy.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

CLAY COUNTY, Fla. -- Clay County Sheriff's Office booking photo of Ted Hanner

Next month, a 49-year-old Middleburg man will be in court after a boating accident that killed his son and his son's friend.

Ted Hanner is charged with reckless operation of a boat.

In February, investigators said, Hanner left the controls of his boat moments before it crashed into a low-lying tree on Black Creek.

Travis Hanner, 17, and Halee Mickey, 15, died from the impact.

The tree branch still hangs over the water, despite talk about cutting it down. Most boaters probably wouldn't even notice the tree, which is a half-mile east of Mariners Road in Green Cove Springs. It looks like all the other low-lying trees on Black Creek.

But it's the one all the talk is about that changed two Clay County families forever.

"I mean, I wake up every morning when I do sleep," Ted Hanner said in March, crying about the tragic accident just days after it happened. "Beautiful boy, and I'm going to miss him."

Hanner, his son, Travis, and Travis' friend, Halee, climbed into their 18-foot Baja fishing boat on Feb. 21, President's Day, as is detailed in a newly released report from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The three cruised around for hours, and Ted Hanner later told police he noticed something was wrong with the engine.

Travis Hanner and Halee Mickey

Hanner told investigators that he had been having engine problems all day long and that he had to go to the back of the boat to check the motor and pump the fuel bulb, which, in effect, pushed more fuel into the engine. Hanner was doing this moments before the accident, according to the report.

According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife report, Hanner admitted the throttle was engaged as he tried to rev up the engine. When the engine fired back up, he was more than six feet away from the controls, according to the report. The boat shot forward and turned hard right, heading straight for a low-lying tree at faster than 25 mph, according to the report.

Hanner said the last thing he saw before impact was his son trying to push Halee out of harm's way.

Of course this can happen. Not the smartest way to get the engine running, but it looks like a dumb mistake.

Your 'question' suggests that the father knew in advance that his son, and friend, would be in harm's way...and he had no problem with that. I don't see it that way. He broke the 'stupid' rule...and lost his son for it.

Happy boating!

3gsdad

Seaman Apprentice

"Your 'question' suggests that the father knew in advance that his son, and friend, would be in harm's way...and he had no problem with that. I don't see it that way. He broke the 'stupid' rule...and lost his son for it.

Happy boating! "

I guess my post came across wrong. I feel bad for the guy, he lost his son and is going to jail for this. I wasn't judging him for making a mistake. I know how dangerous boating can be and have made some pretty stupid mistakes my self. I would be devestated if a mistake I made cost someone their life. I did noit critisize him for his mistakes like leaving it in gear and messing with the engine while nobody was at the wheel. I just wanted to know if the story was even possble. My boat does not have a primer and it takes a minute for it to reach 25mph so it seamed to me like there must be somthing missing in the story.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is the wrong time and place to argue a case in which all you have is a journalist report. Even worse is to predict the outcome of the court date.

There is too much we don't know to be passing any judgement on anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.