Does this sound reasonable???

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ive sent my boat off to do what I dont dare to fix myself.
I asked the mech to tear down the outdrive, double-check the gears and internals, and put new bellows in. Theyve been really great about letting me get my own parts and seem to have been straight forward about everything.
the whole project was origionally quoted me at $900
all was well; But, I got a call yesterday about the shift cable bellow. Apperently, there was some mis-communication about what to do, and he needs to replace the shift cable too. Ive heard of this problem (here) and so I wasnt too upset. The new quote is now ~$1050 to 1100.

So, Im just wondering if this is still a reasonable price to be forking over? Its the first time Ive used this guy, and Im on a ski-bum budget. So, I might just be worrying a lil too much. What dyall think? What'd you professional guyz charge? whatd you other non-mech. people get charged in the past?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Does this sound reasonable???

You never mentioned in your post what outdrive you have, but since you said "shift cable bellows" I would assume it's a Mercruiser of some type.
If it's an Alpha I, the Merc cable itself is about $65, so yea, he's still in the ballpark.......... and my guess is that it is just an estimate, and not a solid quoted of exactly how much it will cost.

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Does this sound reasonable???

Oh yeah, Its an 85 Alpha 1, gen 1.
Ok, Iz just makin sure I wasnt gettin hammered here.

Now to dig up another couple-hundred dollars. . . guess Ill just ask my wife n daughter not to eat for a month. :) Gawd forbid I go without pepsi for a while.