Does this Oil have water in it?

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice
Ive been trying to locate and repair a lower unit leak on my early 80's v6 black max 200hp. First the whole water pump kit including the lower seal-assembly. next the shift shaft bushing and seal kit. at this point i pressure tested it and it held (~12 psi) under water for hours but when i took it out it had water in it again. So I pulled the prop and noticed a milky oil coming from around the prop shaft, so i pulled and replaced both the shaft seals, figuring it could be the shaft rotating causing the seals to fail( which would explain the passing pressure test). Ok so i took it out again for a 10 min test run, about 4500 rpm's in for a good 5 min. and here is the oil....the sample was the Bottom of the oil after i drove back from the boat ramp. and it has settled in this bottle for 2 days. It Does NOT look like the oil that went in, is was gear lube 80w-90 and much more clear. I am asking you all if this has water in it or maybe just the apperance of the oil after it has been 'used'?<br />

82RAYSONCRAFT

Seaman
Re: Does this Oil have water in it?

Definitantly looks like emulsified H2O and oil to me.<br /><br />Anyone else have any thoughts?

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Easy quick test: stick a hot soldering iron in it or a piece of heated metal rod: if it spits and sparks then there is water there.<br /><br />It's an old test that we used in car engines when the oil wasn't emulsified but we suspected a head gasket leak.<br /><br />Oh and yes, that does look like emulsified oil, sorry.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

The problem might be the shaft itself?

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice

Wow...Thanks Bro!! that test works great! I heated a metal rod and diped it into the container, and it did start to "boil away around the pole, I wwas not sure if this was the bubbleing i was looking for, so i tested some new oil, and it did NOT even make one bubble it just smoked, and MY water filled oil was bubbleing away!! thats for the test! I guess its back to the drawing board to solve this leak...My next suspect is #1 the prop shaft.After i remove the prop and spin the shaft by hand, the shaft will move (at the prop end not the seal end.) up and down a good 1/8 of and inch both ways about 1/4" total travel in 1 turn. Or maybe my dumb a** just put the weater pump kit in wrong...I guees I can refill the oil with new oil, Run the motor on the hose , and recheck for water , if water gets in while on the house I guess i will have to recheck the water pump kit installation....THANKS FOR EVERYONES CHIME IN's