does this exhaust riser need replacing?

trucknutz36582

Seaman Apprentice
This is on a 2003 Stingray MS200 with the 4.3 mPI . About thousand hours on the motor..
Second owner, the seller - told me manifolds and risers were supposedly changed out 3 or 4 years ago by the original owner -

It ran fine the last two outings when I was figuring out where the noise was coming from (bad gimbal bearing)
but now that I have a outdrive installed, it won't run smoothly over 3,000 rpm.
Local mechanic advised me that exhaust manifold or riser may be leaking water into the engine...

what do I do next? acid dip? or take to an egine shop to have it dipped & cleaned like an engine block?

or just go get a new one?

thanks in advance

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
boats 13 years old, giving 5 year life on average your on the third set or a very tired second set .You always want the graphite gaskets not paper ones

"take to an engine shop to have it dipped & cleaned like a used condom?"

Last edited:

NHGuy

Captain
No sense try to keep that. Too plugged and rusted.
There's a pair for sale in NH. On Craigslist

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Ya can't inspect the riser til ya clean the gasket surfaces so's ya can see 'em,.....

A flat file works good,....

Yer lookin' for gasket surfaces 'bout 1/4" wide or wider,.....

trucknutz36582

Seaman Apprentice
thanks I'll clean them up this weekend. are all the gaskets the same pattern for Osco risers? should I be looking for a pair of the same brand , or are they interchangeable ?

IS this the correct Mercury part number?
[h=1]27-863724 or do I need Osco 8503-GR or ???[/h]
[h=2][/h]

trucknutz36582

Seaman Apprentice
ok here's what the riser looks like cleaned up. other side more or less the same.

Do you guys think it will make it for the 60 hours
or so I need to make it through the rest of the season? I don't need it to last years, just a few more months. riser1.png

plan is to pull the motor and replace with new gm long block around the first of november, when our boating season ends.

reuse what I can - replace what i should.
I really would prefer the dry joint exhaust to add to the new motor - is there any issue I need to be aware of?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That elbow looks ok. Use the graphite Merc gaskets. Any others promote leaks.

Dry-joint. Great system, but the tubulator gaskets are very exxy... Like $45 each. :eek: There are 2 different down-angles of the dry-joint elbow. To change from one to the other also means a change of the aluminium tube immediately below the elbow (also called an 'elbow').... Just the look of the elbow in one of your pictures it looks like a 7 degree. There are 7 degree dry-joint elbows. All the manifolds are the same regardless of the elbow down-angle.

7 degree down-angle dry-joint elbow part# -864309T02
Dry-joint manifold part# -864612T01
Elbow gasket part# 27-864850A02
Manifold gasket part# 27-99757

Chris......