Does the motor weight rest on the top of the transom or just the bolts?

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm re-mounting the Johnson 55 on a 14" aluminum runabout.

Question I have is, is the weight of the motor supposed to be borne by the top of the transom, or is it all borne by the bolts?

Reason I ask is, it seems one of the little pads on the top inner of the mounting bracket (the port side) is worn, as is the corresponding part of the aluminum trim from the top of the transom.

Starcraft-2013-Aug-05-5971m.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Aug-05-5972m.jpg

But the starboard pad has no wear marks, and neither does the starboard side of the trim piece.

I made a previous post here about how the old bolt pattern doesn't seem square - it's here for further backgound:

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-ev...crewed-up-thoughts-my-planned-fix-620190.html

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Does the motor weight rest on the top of the transom or just the bolts?

It's all borne by the bolts. That's the reason you can raise the mtr if you have to for better performance and just the bolts are holding it.

phillnjack2

Ensign

When mounting an engine if you just put it on the top of transom it can be way out of line !!!!
take a line from bottom left of transom to top right and bottom right to top left.
this now gives you the exact centre.
with boat level take a plumb line and drop it down the centre and mark the line.
from there is whereto make the bolt alignment for the engine.
loads of boat have the top of transom out of square even when brand new.
its best to have a slight gap at the top anyway as like Boobie says, the bolts take all the weight of the engine.

phill

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Those hook-type tabs are for hanging it on a stand.

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent. Thanks very much guys