Does the light really work

fireman57

Captain
Wondering if using the submersible light really works for night white bass and stripers. Seems like it's one of those urban legends. We never catch anything at night for some reason. Lake is perfectly still with no action on the surface.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Does the light really work

going to try one out this spring on the crappies up here .. <br /><br />bought a Brinkman Starfire II last fall to try out.. so we'll see what happens.<br /><br />might be a situational thing I guess but, it'll be fun to screw around with the light and the camera..

TKE381

Seaman

I used to fish under a street light on a bridge at 3:00 in the morning after work. The fishing was really good under the light. I just bought a drop light for the boat and plan to try it out this week. I'll let you know how it goes. <br /><br />Friends have told me that the technique is to drop the light above the expected suspended region. Then wait 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then fish. And be quiet.

D

DJ

Check your local and state laws. They are not legal everywhere.

fireman57

Captain

I couldn't resist an 18.00 submersible light. Usually after we are on the lake all day we are too "tired" to fish at night after a liquid lunch. Always wanted to try it though. I figured that jtexas or walleyehead had done this before. Seems They've tried everything else!

NathanY

Commander

Yes they work very good for crappie and stripers. Only way I fish in the summer.

bubbakat

Captain

I carry two on my boat at night and if the man comes by I will let it go. then if he wants to charge me he will have to fish the light out. :D <br /><br />Yes they work. I have caught many crappie at night using this method.<br />I was at wally world last fall and the had four of these for 3 bucks apiece and I got all four.

sawblade

Cadet

I would rather fish for crappie at night than in the daylight. The lights attract bait fish and the crappie feed on them, but the crappie are a little skidish if the light is very bright so hang the light close to the boat and fish out where the water starts to darken. From my experience the crappie will be in the shadows just waiting for a minnow to swim by. Give it a try you will be hooked.<br /><br />By the way the green flouresent tube lights work great and draws less power than regular lights.

fireman57

Captain

Nate and bubbakat are you using the submersible light or just hanging a light to attract bugs, then baitfish, then crappie? I only have a 15 ft cord on this light. Might have to lengthen it. How deep do you submerge the light. It is legal here, already checked but thanks for the tip.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

shine yur spotlight on the water...<br />just don't drain yur battery ;)

fireman57

Captain

Great link jtexas. Manm you are all over the web aren't you. Gonna try it this spring and summer as the skiers are out all day from sunup to sundown. What kind of material should I use for the green shade on my light. It must get hot because it has to be submerged. Don't want anything to melt on it. Thinking maybe just the colored glad or saran wrap.