Does size matter (wakeboard fins)

Dreenn

Cadet
As the topic says hehe I need to buy new fins for my cwb board and dunno if fin size matters with board size or rideing type u wanna do and if u guys could give me any additional info about them before I go buying the wrong ones please feel free

typed on my iPhone sorry about the grammar

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Does size matter (wakeboard fins)

The larger the fin the better the tracking of the board. If you're going straight and you find your board has a tendency to slip out, then you'll want to go with a bigger fin. With a bigger fin you'll have a more stable ride and it'll help if you're boarding in rougher water.

If you're in smooth water you can get away with smaller fins and also smaller fins will allow you to make sharper turns and react more quickly. If you're trying to spin the board around smaller fins (or a lack of) will make that easier.

What sort of fin configuration do you have now (i.e. 4 detachable fins, 4 molded / 2 detachable, etc)?

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Fins are a crutch. Its like Rails that a train rides on. Bigger fins are great for learnign to ride, but will hamper progression when you start to do tricks, jumps, spins...etc.

Smaller fins are better, usually helps your tracking, but due to the rocker of the board are usually easy to break loose. If you know how to edge properly, you don't even need fins.

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't need them. Take them off you will be a lot happier especially as you cut real hard jump the wake and are about to land on the other side of the wake and the board isn't perfectly straight = face plant.

I removed mine last year although the wife does not like it because the board is more stable with the fins if you aren't planning on doing any jumping.

So No fins = Less Face Plants

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Don't need them. Take them off you will be a lot happier especially as you cut real hard jump the wake and are about to land on the other side of the wake and the board isn't perfectly straight = face plant.

I removed mine last year although the wife does not like it because the board is more stable with the fins if you aren't planning on doing any jumping.

So No fins = Less Face Plants

Ugh, this is so wrong...porr technique = faceplants... not fins. ALmost every board out there has molded in fins today, and one center fin doesn't change that.

You are suposed to land on edge, this will keep the leading edge of the board (the one facing the boat) either on heel side or toe side out of the water and prevent a face plant. If anything you slide out and take an enema.

I repeat... DO NOT LAND WITH THE BOAR STRAIGHT, LAND ON EDGE... and atleast an edge as strong as the one you approached the wake on and ride it out slowly coming off edge and leveling off.

Dreenn

Cadet

i am by no means tring any jumps i am new to wakeboarding i know my board has 2 detachable fins as for molded i know there are some i'm unsure of how many whats a good sized find for a new rider

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The options will range significantly from about .8 inch to 3.5. The bigger the fin the better the tracking, but something like a surface 180 will be more difficult as the fins will resist your motion to turn the board. My wife's CWB has 4 molded .8 inch fins and detachable 1.5 center fins. I wouldn't go larger than that.

Are the fins missing and have you used the board without fins?

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

The Molded fins alone will be just fine to learn. The center fins just add a little more stability... but in all seriousness.... I wouldn't try to ride with center fins larger than my molded fins. A little wiggle in the board is a good thing and will help you progress by learnign board control.

Unless the only bit of wakeboarding you want to do is come up and ride directly behind the boat.

Dreenn

Cadet

yeah the fins that came with the board are missing i got up a few times last season but everytime my back foot was way outa control maybe i'll try to learn conrtol before i go buying them

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

you probably have body position issues.

Once you get the boar straight, you should try to stand with both knees bent to distribute the weight as evenly as possible. Get your upper bodyin a straight line with a slight lean away from the boat, and keep the rope low, waist/hip area... most importantly... try to relax.

dan the tuna

Cadet

Fins? ...who needs em? I don't ride with fins on my wakeboard. I do use fins on my kiteboards however. With a kiteboard you need to have that "traction" to get you up wind. Wakeboards don't need fins IMO. Like some others said, fins are great for beginners, but once you get better you won't rely on them to turn, instead you will truly carve rather than just point the board to turn.

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah the fins that came with the board are missing i got up a few times last season but everytime my back foot was way outa control maybe i'll try to learn conrtol before i go buying them

One exercise which may help is to let go with your trailing hand, align your shoulders with your feet and get comfortable with carving with your arms essentially stretching out. If one doesn't keep their feet inline with the path of the boat, the board can tend to slide a bit sideways.

Attachments

• tracking.jpg
    tracking.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0