Does my '71 40hp have a thermostat? Having other probs too.

foxjohnc03

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does anyone know if my '71 40hp evinrude has a thermostat? When it is running you can touch the case by the cyls and it is not hot, rather warm at most. Also the front of the engine behind the carb is cold and has condensation on it while running. This doesnt sound right. Both cyls are firing ok. Also, does the float you get in the rebuild kit come set or do you have to set it? My engine was running great for the first 5 or so minutes but then it lost power, when we hit a wake it would surge up and down and while running, it would pick back up and run great and then go back to crap a few minutes later? I rebuilt the carb yesterday and made sure all the passageways were clear.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Does my '71 40hp have a thermostat? Having other probs too.

Hello.<br />Your engine does have a thermostat.<br />The reason why your engine surges when going over a wake is probably because your prop is not deep enough in the water and when crossing a wake,part of it is above water.The front of the engine does not get very hot.The rear does.Check your fuel filters and line for blockages and leaks and make sure the air inlet to the tank is open.