Does my 1994 Johnson J15EERE keep the battery charged?

masonboro

Seaman
Hello.

I am new to the world of Johnson motors, I have recently purhcased a 1994 Johnson 15 hp model J15EERE for my Caribe inflatable.
It is electric start but I have yet to use the feature.
We are sailors and use our dinghy very often in the dark and I am considering installing electric running lights should this motor keep a battery topped off.
Using those portable clamp on running lights uses alot of throw away batteries, besides the lights are in the way when not using and don't seem to hold up too long in the tropical salt and sun.

If I hook up a battery for the electric start will the motor keep the battery charged?

Thanks,
Newbe
Masonboro

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Does my 1994 Johnson J15EERE keep the battery charged?

it does have a charging system, seeing it is electric start. but the system is small, and i would still recommend making sure the battery has a full charge before, venturing out for a night of fishing. using LED lights greatly enhances the life of the battery charge.

masonboro

Seaman

Thank you very much for the reply,

We just ordered a fuel pump kit and carb kit from your ships store.

We don't know the history of the motor so some preventative maintenance wouldn't hurt besides reliability is a must as we live in an anchorage.

We will get some LED running lights very soon, they would only get used every few days or so, also a small bilge pump with float.

We run the motor for a couple hours every day and wonder if the charging system will keep the battery topped off with the bilge and LED lights occasionally used?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you should be fine. they charge best at WOT.