Does anyone use gearpros gears?

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

J48ESLCER - 1989 48hp spl.​

Okay, my reseal turned into a regear. During the reseal, I found chunks in my pinion. I could not get an OEM set, so I ordered a set from Gearpro. Per their website, they claim to meet or exceed OEM specs and are USA-made.

Well, there are several differences from OEM gearsets. The manufacturer states they work fine, and they have sold thousands of these sets over 30 years. They also have 100% positive reviews on eBay. I know someone is using them.

I wanted to hear if anyone has had good or bad experiences with them.

OEM is on the top in the pictures

Attachments

• IMG_7915[1].JPG
    IMG_7915[1].JPG
    809.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7914[1].JPG
    IMG_7914[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Installed dozens of the V-6 sets. Do not put this together unless you have the shimming tool or you will be buying another set

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Installed dozens of the V-6 sets. Do not put this together unless you have the shimming tool or you will be buying another set
Thanks,
I have a shop that said they would shim it for me. How do they hold up? Any improvements?

I chickened out and ordered new, old stock OEM gear. If they don't let me return it, I will have to sell this set.

What bugged me was the tooth height (1mm shorter) on the forward gear and diameter (3mm smaller) on both gears. It just seemed like the pinion had less surface area to make contact. Also, I wouldn't say I liked the thrust-bearing race hung over the edge like in the picture. Other than that, they felt silky-smooth in the case.

I tried to consider the advantages, like better oil flow to the bearings or better flow through the teeth, letting the gears run cooler. I asked the manufacturer if that was correct, and all they said was it would work perfectly. Ultimately, this is my wife's boat (she let me buy it for Mother's Day). She wants to fish in the spring and lets me fish for the rest of the year without complaint. I felt it would be in my best interest to spend $200 more on OEM.

Attachments

• stacked.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • new gear.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • original gear.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That is not a good gearcase anyway, but the slightly smaller diameter could increase oil flow around gears to cool them a lil better.

Taxus812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, that is what I heard. They tend to detonate.
That is not a good gearcase anyway, but the slightly smaller diameter could increase oil flow around gears to cool them a lil better.

the slightly smaller diameter could increase oil flow around gears to cool them a lil better.
I was thinking that since the race was hanging over the edge. The shorter tooth left more space for oil between the teeth as it turned.

I couldn't find any reviews or posts with anyone using them to confirm. I don't see many failures because I am not a gearbox guy. I don't know how the cut and design of pinion gears performs. My gut said (actually it was screaming) just keep to "as designed" at this point, so the OEM route it is.

Side note If the manufacturer\seller is ever reading this. I suspect these gears might have run fine for the rest of this motor's life. I just can't risk my wife paddling back to shore :). I would never hear the end of how I cheaped out.

Attachments

• new gear.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0