Does anyone have advice for a newbie?

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Does anyone have advice for a newbie?

Practise backing your boat up before you get to the ramp.<br /><br />Unplug the wire harness from your vehicle to your trailer before entering the water, occasionally the lights can short.<br /><br />Never back down the ramp unless you still have a trailer tongue connection to your boat.<br /><br />Always check and double check your hitch security before trailering. Use safety chains.<br /><br />Drain and fill your lower unit on the motor once a year.<br /><br />Dry out your equipment between uses... avoid mildew.<br /><br />Flush your engine after each use if you go into salt water<br /><br />Keep your gas fresh and carry extra oil with you.<br /><br />Clean the weeds off your boat and trailer before you leave the launch area.<br /><br />Ask about the local rules... speed, direction of travel, times, especially on a smaller lake.<br /><br />Help other boaters in distress if you can safely do so.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get a Repair Manual for your engine. :)

LadyFish

Admiral

Newboater will you be in salt or fresh water?

Thanks for all the advice and i'll be in freshwater. My dad and I just got a new boat(new to us) for free from my uncles friend. Can you test the motor(mercury 50hp) in a trashcan full of water?

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, you can test your motor in a barrel, but I would keep a water hose running, just in case you have to add water, but I would not run it full speed. <br /><br />Advice: Gas supply -- 1/3 out, 1/3 on location, and 1/3 to home. Have all the Coast Guard supplies ready. If you can, approach a dock at a sharp angle on the boat's port (left) side. You can not steer a powerboat unless she is moving in the water. Have a good anchor and anchor rode. Carry a cell phone or a VHF radio. Have drinking water on board. Have fun!!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sunscreen, water, no alcohol.<br />THe combination of dehydration, sunburn, and alcohol can really mess you up.<br /><br />Wear a lifejacket.<br />Don't like the bulky ones, then spend the $50-75 on one of the small inflatable types.

Bobby O

Cadet

Being from MA, you will all ways be a new boater with the short season as compared to the Florida members. Is it Maine ( a most beautiful state, or that other northern outpost Mass.

rwise

Captain

read here a lot!!!! I have learned so much here....