Does an Electric start motor have a charging system for the battery?

svenr

Cadet
Will an electric start motor automatically charge my boat battery if connected to it, or do they only drain power from the battery and not recharge?

If the johnson doesn't come with an automatic charging system, do you know if any other models do (i.e evinrude), other brands, or can it be ordered as an option?

Thanks for the help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Does an Electric start motor have a charging system for the battery?

well it first depends on the size engine you are buying. most have the capablity to recharge the battery for the purpose of starting. but, not necessarily to run a house full of equipment, and trolling motors. more information is needed to properly answer your question. what motor, what equipment etc

svenr

Cadet

My mistake, was in a hurry this morning.

Was looking at motors, either 15hp, 20hp, or 25 hp MAX. Really I am only interested in the ability for it to charge enough to restart the motor since I can charge the battery after a day on the water. The trolling motor runs off the same battery and I want to make sure I have enough power to troll and start all day.

The battery is a large deep cycle battery (interstate).

CATransplant

Admiral

It's iffy to rely on one battery for starting and electric trolling. It takes quite a bit of running on the gas outboard to recharge a battery...more than you're likely to do in a day of fishing, frankly.

Most folks rely on a separate battery for their trolling motor, and it's a good idea.

If your outboard starts easily, you don't have to worry much about your starting battery, as long as it starts the day (or even the weekend) with a full charge.

On the other hand, it's all too easy to run a battery down with a trolling motor (I know...I've done it many times). At that point, it's too late, and you'll be rope-starting your outboard.

Two batteries gives you a real safety boost. I wouldn't go anywhere without two.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Most small outboards in the range you're talking about have chargers available as an option, usually in the 4-5 amp range. These will only maintain a battery that is used for starting and the occasional light accessory usage. If you're running the battery down a lot with the trolling motor, the charger on the outboard probably won't be enough to bring it back up. As was noted earlier, get a couple batteries and keep one charged on land...
- Scott

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

The outboard won't generate enough electricity to restore power used by the T/M, but whether one battery is enough depends on your T/M usage. If you know you can rope start it (and a warm motor needs only a little kick to get it going), try it and see. Most of the fishermen I know (me included) have the T/M on its own battery, and run livewell & bilge & lights & fishfinder off the cranking battery without ever a problem.