Does a Hydrofoil make sense on a Pontoon?

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just curious if having a hydrofoil would have any benefit to a pontoon? Perhaps this has already been discussed?

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Does a Hydrofoil make sense on a Pontoon?

The general concensus here is no.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I see none whatsoever :redface:

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

I have one on my 24 footer and it helps with the ride. I don't have power trim and if I set the engine in one notch the front of the pontoons plow the water. Without the hydrofoil the stern digs in. When I first installed it, it gave to much lift, so I trimmed an inch off each side and tested it again. I ended up trimming about 2 inches off both sides to get the best ride at my normal cruising speed. I've been running it that way for 20 years and it hasn't caused any problems.

Bit-Smacker

Recruit

Just curious if having a hydrofoil would have any benefit to a pontoon? Perhaps this has already been discussed?

From my own experience, definitely!

The whole reason I ended up on this site is from my search to find out if I could get the kit that my dad had on his 24-foot pontoon boat when I was a kid (back in the '80s). I wouldn't want a pontoon boat without it.

The pontoons had welded aluminum triangle "wings" on each side of each pontoon, running all the way back. With a 90 HP motor, we could pull two skiers or one of those multi-person tubes. It acted like a standard pontoon boat until it hit a certain speed and then it would suddenly jump out of the water and skip along like a bass boat. The only down side was that you felt every little bump as though someone was using a sledge-hammer under the seats, so it was better to run through smooth water.

I've looked for a few years and haven't found anything like it, just some kind of third pontoon add-on in the middle. I thought I remembered my dad saying that it was called a "go-fast kit" that was installed by a custom boat shop somewhere in metro Phoenix. Whoever did it, did a great job, since the aluminum welds looked perfect. I really wish I had that boat now.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bit-Smacker, The OP was asking about a hydrofoil which is a wing device that attaches to the antivent plate on the motor. What you are describing are lifting strakes welded to the pontoons. They work 2 different ways to produce 2 different results. The strakes allow a pontoon to acheive plane. I'm not sure what the foil is supposed to accomplish, but most people say they they add very little and may reduce performance. I have the strakes, have no experience with foils.

Glenn

Bit-Smacker

Recruit

What you are describing are lifting strakes welded to the pontoons. They work 2 different ways to produce 2 different results. The strakes allow a pontoon to acheive plane.
Glenn

Cool, thanks! I just did a search and that's exactly what I was looking for ... "strakes"! Now, I just need to find a place that can install them.

Thanks, again!
-Derek

tiya12

Recruit

Without the hydrofoil the stern digs in. When I first installed it, it gave to much lift, so I trimmed an inch off each side and tested it again. I ended up trimming about 2 inches off both sides to get the best ride at my normal cruising speed. The only down side was that you felt every little bump as though someone was using a sledge-hammer under the seats, so it was better to run through smooth water.