Does 2inches above bottom make difference for Trim Tabs?

mydogmax

Cadet
I just installed my Smart Tabs on my 15 foot Klamath Aluminum boat. Due to the position of my kicker and 72 inch wide boat, I had to install it 2 inches above the bottom (on the stern of course). So it is not flush against the bottom but still hangs down about four inches vs. 6 or 7 inches. I hope I still have the benefits of the trim tabs but fear I might be cheating myself by 2 inches and perhaps performance.
What do you all think?
I can still take it down if I want by just drilling three more holes and plug up the other three I drilled today. I hope the 5200 sealant is not gripping yet since I will have to remove the plate and screws.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Does 2inches above bottom make difference for Trim Tabs?

you are cheating yourself. that is why i use 3M 4200.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yep, what TD said.....

I am no expert on Trim Tabs by any stretch of the imagination. Just a comment that all the setups I've seen have the tabs mounted flush with the bottom of the boat.

And the 5200 is an issue for dis-assembly. Use the 4200 or some other poly sealant on parts that need to come apart in the future.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

For the trim tap to work correctly it has to be 1/2" up from the bottom:eek:

mydogmax

Cadet

I thought that would be the case. Thank guys! I will drop it down this morning to flush with the bottom.

Moody Blue

Captain

A little puzzling why you are asking the question now. You have ignored the mfr's instructions, drilled the transom and installed the tabs where you thought they should go THEN asked if it will make a difference or not.

If you had the possibility of installing them properly in the first place (I can still take it down if I want by just drilling three more holes and plug up the other three I drilled today) why didn't you?

Will they work as well as if they were properly installed? Of course not. Will they work at all? No one can say one way or the other. Why not take the boat out and try them before drilling more holes in the boat. The regular 5200 takes like 7 days to fully cure. The fast cure 5200 takes 24hrs to cure.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Mydogmax;

What bothers me more than mounting the tabs too high off the bottom of the hull is that you say they still hang down 6" to 7". Even when installed at the correct height, the trailing edge (back edge) of the tab should only be about 3" down (deployed) from the bottom of the hull.

Can you send me a picture of the installation before you go further?

mydogmax

Cadet

My mistake. I just measured it. The tail end of the tab is 2 inches below the boat bottom. The fine tune adjuster is at the 5th (most distant) position/hole. I'm not sure how taking it to the 1st. position would benefit things. Should I place it in the 3rd/middle position?
By the way, I did end up dropping the tab down by aprx. 2 inches taking the bottom screws to just 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch above the bottom of the boat. I heard this might be the right position.
Jdeagro (and anybody else), sounds like you know the Smart Tabs well.
Give me some feed back if you will.

Thank you.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

MyDogMax;

Moving the Plate end of the actuator from hole 5 to 3 or 1 or 2 or 4 will not (normal installation assumed) change the deployed angle of the tab plate. What will change the angle is the Top Transom bracket where the actuator mounts to the transom. Moving this up or down will move the plate up or down. At the plate end of the actuator (holes 1 through 5) is an adjustment for pressure (resistance). The more pressure required to bring the plate up to horizontal, the more stern lift. This is not as critical at slow speeds as it is at cruising speeds and above. Keep in mind that the Smart Tabs (unlike hydraulic or electric) are always under pressure like a compressed spring. The right amount of pressure (downward force) helps control the ride and handling of the boat, and eliminates porpoising. Too much pressure will lift the stern too much when cruising (or at high speeds) and drive the bow down. This causes bow steering (sensitivity to left and right steering), reduced speed at the top end, and of course a loss of fuel economy. In fact this is very common when hydrofoils are used because the stern lift constantly increases as the speed of the boat increases since the foil is rigid and not adjustable.

Moving the actuator from one hole (exp. # 3) to another (exp. #1) allow you to fine tune the system to your specific boat. Once you are getting the results you want, your done.

What you want to achieve is proper controlled balance.
Example 1: If the boat porpoises when cruising (with the motored trimmed to vertical/out) then move from hole #3 to Hole #4 fro example.

Example 2: If the top speed of the boat is less than it was before the tabs were installed, then move from hole #3 to Hole #2.

In the first case (example 1) hole #3 was not resistant enough to eliminate the porpoising so we increased the resistance / stern lift to hold the bow down a bit more.

In the second example (#2) the resistance (stern lift) was too much and even with the motor trimmed out, the bow was forced down too much and cause a loss of top speed (sometimes refereed to as drag).

Remember the most efficient position for the prop is vertical or perpendicular to the water surface. When cruising, tilting the prop one way or the other only makes the prop slip. Therefore the best economy, and performance is when the trim tabs take care of the boat attitude, and the prop simply propels.

The single best advantage for using trim tabs is that you are adjusting the hull design to suite the sea conditions as they occur. The hull dictates the ride, handling, stability, and efficiency of the boat, not the motor.

The adjsutments that you made should put you very close to what you are looking for. Just go try it now!

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Jdeagro now that is taking customer service to the next level great product you got;)

mydogmax

Cadet

I am very much impressed with Jdeagro. My Trim tabs are installed to factory specs, the 3 holes previously drilled are sealed and I'm ready for play.
Great feedback from all you guys.

Thanks,

Rich