Does 1963 350, 35HP Mercury have a tell tale/pee hole?

I will hook the engine up to muffs or submerge the lower unit in a tank and will get the same results. A small amount of water will be discharged from the top of the driveshaft house/ below the engine housing but nothing significant. Its on the Port side. It appears at idle that only a trickle will come out and with the engine revving up a bit a little more water will come out as well but not a well defined stream as i've seen in videos.

Is this the pee hole? are these models equipped with them?

thank you

merc850

Commander
Yes that's where it is, twist some wire in the hole to clean it out and if the waterpump impeller is old (2+ years) or unknown I would replace it.

While checking the parts diagram, there is nothing that indicates a tell-tale system like the later S/N do of the same type of engine. Could the earlier S/N not have one?

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Heavy duty weed wacker line works better than wire. It flexes easy and won't pierce the tubing if it gets stuck at a bend.

merc850

Commander
Every 4/6cyl motor from 1950's on had a telltale in that position it comes out of the bottom of the water jacket. Later models had a fitting in the back water jacket and a hose that exited on the starbd. side.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Every 4/6cyl motor from 1950's on had a telltale in that position it comes out of the bottom of the water jacket. Later models had a fitting in the back water jacket and a hose that exited on the starbd. side.

Sorry, 850. The Merc in my sig had a nice plug on top of the block and no telltale. It did have the discharge port in the lower cowl, rear starboard side. I added the telltale.

What radio seems to be describing is the exhaust relief, circled in first pic. Some 350s do, some don't. What is your serial number, radio? Second pic is where the plug is located, item #20..

exrel.PNGplug.PNG

No Title

GA,

I do have the discharge port but that's not where the water is coming out of. It appears to be discharging from a port in the bottom cowl, port side. the SN is 1591112 which is within the early range of SN for this model.

I use Marineengine.com to look up parts and will select mercury outboards/1960-Present/350/1571114 THRU 1812753 ()/BOTTOM COWL ASSEMBLY

See diagram below

Attachments

• photo218665.jpg
    photo218665.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1
I dont think it has a tell tale but a discharge port by the muffler. It does pee quite a bit when it is on the lake and I had no overheating issues. although it has a hard time pushing my 14 foot fiberglass boat :/

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
What size propeller is on it? Too much prop is akin to driving uphill in 5th gear while towing a trailer. Dropping down in pitch may bring RPM up to it's happy zone and improve the push.